Baby Corner

Old 05-16-07, 08:03 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default Cord Blood Saving?

What does everyone think about Cord Blood Banking? I was talking to a friend and they asked me what I thought about this. I went to the

and found the following information. Cord Blood is collected after a baby is safely delivered and it contains a rich source of stem cells. These cells can be used for life-saving and regenerative applications for stem cells and new applications for stems cells are being discovered everyday. What do you think ethically or as a parent/parent to be? Have any of you had or known of anybody that have done this? If so how did it work?

Old 05-16-07, 09:34 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I think this should be left to the debate board...

But my opinion on the subject matter is that it's a major waste of money. Its like an insurance policy where the odds are very very good you'll never need to use it.

I wouldn't mind donating to research or something like that, but I would NOT spend the money to have it cryogenically saved for potential personal uses some time in the far future.

Old 05-16-07, 10:16 PM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Weekly Activity 120%

I agree, and I find it irresponsible that companies use guilt and scare tactics to sell banking services. We donated my son's cord blood.

Old 05-17-07, 09:57 AM
is loving my new job!
Kaitlyn & Nicole's Mommy

Thanked 415 Times
Level: 5
Weekly Activity 19220%

I didnt do it w/ my first and dont plan on doing it this time around either.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools