Baby Corner

Old 07-07-08, 02:02 PM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 67520%
Default A few questions...

I have a scheduled c-section planned due to breech position for the 14th and I just had a few questions for you ladies.

The catheter: I keep hearing different things. Did your dr put it in before the spinal or after? Did they take it out while you were still numb or the next day?

Eating: I read somewhere that I won't be allowed to eat or drink non-clear liquids for the 3-4 days AFTER the surgery? Is this true?

Recovery: I've heard some women say the recovery wasn't so bad after the 1st week or so and felt that it was overall better than recovery from a vaginal birth. What all will I not be able to do? Someone mentioned I won't be able to drive the whole time either.

I appricate all your help ladies!

Old 07-07-08, 02:10 PM
is living life..
VIP Member

Thanked 263 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%

OK.. I've had 3 C-sections..
Each one was different..

but not by much.

Catheter.. I already had the epidural when it was put n the 1st time.. I had the spinal before it was inserted the 2nds time and I had nothing the 3rd time. It wasn't bad AT ALL... I had it removed 24 hours later.. and it wasn't bad at all.. out is so much easier than in.

but you'll also be on drugs the next day so that should help.

I had a fluid diet with the 1st two births til I passed gas.. broth, jello, juice, tea etc.
But this last time the hospital has an interim diet in place.. so I get some soft and liquid foods til I pass gas and then I can get whatever I want.

Recovery.. I had some very good recoveries.. except the 1st time. my incision popped open a tiny bit.. from carrying in the baby carrier

and then sitting too quickly onto a soft chair.. stiffer chairs that you don't have to lower yourself into as far work the best.

No heavy lifting (especially the baby carrier) . no up and down and up and down stairs.. driving depends on the Dr. - my Dr. says 3-4 weeks.. bad idea for the seatbelt to dig in if you were to hit the brakes etc. I was up and about about 11 hours after my last one.. I just hate sitting still.. I seemed to have less pain after I would move more..No stiffness.

And now my hospital doesn't do the morphine drip afterwards.. they do a Percocet/motrin combination drug.. makes revcovery alot easier because you aren't all loopy from the morphine.

Thank you Bethann73!
MrsS1stbaby (07-07-08)

Old 07-07-08, 02:12 PM
Eric & Ty's Mommy

Thanked 113 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

The catheter:
My Dr put it in after I had my epi (w/my 1st was an emergency section) and after I had my spinal w/my 2nd (planned) and i didnt even know she put it in - both times they were taken out the next day as soon as i got up - it did not hurt, a little presure but no pain

Eating: Not true, I ate the next day - nothing too heavy but I wasnt restricted.

Recovery: I never had a vaginal delivery, but I recovered quickly w/both my sections, I took tylenol and motrin for pain w/my first and 2nd I did take tylenol w/codeine b/c i had a bit more pain (but imo nothing substantial) I was up walking around the next day and by the time i came home I (i stayed in the hosp 4 days after) I was great, I mean I wasnt going to the gym, but I had no real pain to speak of.

You are not supposed to drive for 6 weeks, I think its the same w/vaginal though, Im not sure, the 1st I did not drive the whole 6 wks, the 2nd I did drive 2-3 wks later, but no far distances

Hope this helps a little, I know it seems scary and it is major surgery, but the big difference is that you get a beautiful baby at the end so the whole ordeal really isnt as traumatic as it seems right now!

Thank you TLBT!
MrsS1stbaby (07-07-08)

Old 07-07-08, 04:49 PM
is overwhelmed
CL & Mommy 2 Three

Thanked 387 Times
Weekly Activity 1220%

Pretty much what the ladies said, I think many of us had a rougher time the first go round because they weren't planned.
I know for me #2 and #1 were worlds apart because #2 was planned, so much easier on me.
Catheter was put in post spinal on #2, they take it out and get me to walk to the bathroom within about 10 hours after surgery.
Liquid diet until I passed gas.
I think I was driving about 2 weeks later.
My recovery was a bit harder with #2 but I think that was because I also had a 3 yr old that still wanted to be held and I had to run around after.
Thank you Valleygirl!
MrsS1stbaby (07-07-08)

Old 07-07-08, 04:53 PM
Mommy to Two Boys!

Thanked 25 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

For me, my first born i had already had the epi, so couldnt feel cath going in, didnt hurt coming out the next day either. Had a harder time getting up and around with 1st due to staples.
Second, planned, had cath done before, didnt hurt just unpleasant. No lifthing anything over 10 lb for 6 weeks, no driving for 2. I was up 5 hours later, cath came out, didnt hurt, was more mobile. Wasnt on a diet at all. My new ob dont believe in staples, she doulbe sticthes and glues and i was much more mobile this time around due to that. Good luck and congrats!
Thank you ~Crystal~!
MrsS1stbaby (07-07-08)
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools