Doctor, Midwife or Doula ?

And why??

Old 09-12-05, 05:53 PM
Community Member

Thanked 1 Time
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.82%

Midwife.
I won't be using a Doula, I don't like the idea of a stranger coming in to help me at this stage - if we were living far away from family I'd probably feel differently though.
The midwife led care here has a fantastic reputation - we have women travelling in from outside of our area for it too. I've been happy with the care I've received throughout my pg since discharge from my ACU Ob, and the more I've questioned & talked to the midwives the more I feel confident that we'll be in good hands when the time comes

Old 09-13-05, 04:24 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

Midwife all the way for me with my births. I won't ever go back to the doc sitting in the chair waiting as if he was waiting for the pitch.

I love the calm and loving care I receive from my Certified Nurse Midwife who has honestly delivered more babies than any OB in this County (according to the hospitals here!).

I love being treated with respect and with compassion. Labor and delivery don't have to be scary or painful or prolonged by lying on one's back.

Old 09-14-05, 04:07 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

I see a perinatalogist..an OB who specializes in high risk pregnancies..because of my health and the anticipated genetic defect of this baby.
I have used a midwife and much prefer their care.
doulas can be great, if you feel comfortable with that individual, and you need the extra help at a birth. an experienced doula who knows your wishes will be your best advocate to keep you focused and give you the birth you want. most midwives offer that kind of support during labor. some doulas stay longer after the birth that a midwife is available to. some even make daily visits, then weekly to help with any aftercare you may need...a doula mothers the mother.

Old 09-20-05, 08:55 AM
Experienced Mom

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%
Smile Well...

I would have chosen a midwife because of the whole natural aspect of things...being able to just labor without being poked and prodded every 5 minutes...I enjoy the concept of just letting the body do what it has to. However unfortunately I have HIP and they no longer employ midwives...and when I called the actual hospital, they had let all of the midwives go!! So I have a doctor whom I love...she took care of me last year with dd...

Urasia
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools