Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Pregnancy Message Boards > Pregnancy, Labor & Childbirth Have you had a homebirth already?

Have you had a homebirth already?

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 11-18-04, 01:50 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Question Have you had a homebirth already?

If you have already experienced the joy of homebirth, please tell us how you liked or disliked it. If you can, how does it compare to a hospital birth?

Old 11-22-04, 01:26 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I'll play in this forum Tracy!!! I had a homebirth with this last babe (#4), after 3 hospital births.
Everything was beautiful with the homebirth........it is hard to put into words...but I found the
experience deeply spiritual. My labor time was 3 hours, this is half what my hospital births were.
It is hard to compare home vs hospital....they are very different experiences. How did yours compare?

Old 11-22-04, 02:33 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

My first homebirth was a welcome respite after having my first 4 in a Navy hospital (don't even get me started on the sub-human care I received there!!

). My 5th son was born in a small town private hospital which wasn't much better. I left there feeling so neglected and uncared for. I guess it's like a baby mill. You go in pg, they pull the baby out and then they send you home. I never felt like anyone cared really for me or my child - only wanted to avoid a lawsuit and that's about it.

My 6th son was born at home on a sunny July morning. My MIL and her sister were here visiting, and the boys were playing outside. I woke up and felt a trickle and knew that my water had broken! I took a shower and walked around a little before announcing to everyone that "today is the day!!" My MIL was a nervous wreck - kept asking me if I wanted to change my mind and go to the hospital...

I called the Midwife (Nancy) an hour or so later and she came on out to the house. She checked me and found that I was only at a 3, so she gently "nudged" my cervix to irritate it and cause better contractions. I walked around our bedroom (it's a huge suite) and she had me do nipple stimulation (it's basically pinching at your nipples gently). This causes more effective contractions as well.

She would have me stop occasionally to listen to the baby's heartbeat and to take my blood pressure. I remember feeling SO in control for the first time in all of my deliveries! I felt so empowered and my pain level was actually so much less!! I walked and dh walked with me, while I ate a few ice chips and breathed through the contractions.

I remember feeling more pressure and asking Nancy if I should lay down. She is the MOST calm and relaxing person I have ever known, and she would just softly say, "Whenever YOU are ready". I kept thinking "I hope this baby doesn't start to crown and I'm still walking" (which I realize now is ridiculous..

I had some back labor which I hadn't had before, so Nancy had me go into the shower and let the warm water beat against my back. It was HEAVEN. The pain just washed away and it was so good for me.

All of a sudden it became very apparent that it was now time to lie down. I got on my bed, and dh got behind me to support my head and shoulders. Nancy checked me to find that I was fully dilated and the baby was beginning to descend.

The pain still wasn't that intense. I kept thinking it was pretty amazing.

After pushing for about 30 minutes I looked up and almost shouted, "HE'S NOT COMING OUT, IS HE??" She then told me that he was presenting "sunnyside up" and it was going to take a little more room for him to make it out. Sunnyside up presentations are the same as adding one full pound of birthweight to the baby!! She had dh really pull back on one of my legs, and she took the other and then they had me push. This allowed more room in my pelvis and he was born! I'm sure to this day that he would've been a c-section in a hospital. She later told me that he was pretty close to being stuck, but she hadn't even pulled out all the stops in getting him out when he did come out.

Spencer was on my breast within seconds of my dh "catching" him and I was in pure heaven. Nancy sat quietly at my feet, watching for bleeding and readying to deliver the placenta WHEN IT WAS READY (A Midwife doesn't yank on the cord!!). She was totally unobtrusive as my children filtered in and met their little brother. My MIL and her sister were in total awe as they saw the beautiful sight. She put her hands to her mouth and almost squealed. Here we were - dh, Spencer and me - all snuggled up in the bed, and so peaceful.

Nancy stayed for about 2-3 hours and then quietly left. I saw her 2 days later for the baby's PKU and to answer any questions I might have. It was so wonderful and I DID IT.

Old 11-22-04, 02:36 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I should mention too that his full labor was 3.5 hours (even sunnyside up!!)

I'll post about my 2nd homebirth after my fingers get a rest!!

Old 11-22-04, 11:40 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

My second homebirth was under difficult circumstances because we knew that our only dd would die (as Spencer had) at birth. Amazingly though, my labor and delivery were nearly pain-free and I was totally at peace.

I called the Midwife after getting home from a cervix check exam at exactly 39 weeks (the longest I have ever carried a baby, by the way). I was in labor by the time I got home (thank God for my Midwife knowing how to safely tweak my cervix and start labor!!!!) from the appointment.

I called her again at about 5pm as the contractions were starting to come harder and I felt like it was time to get serious. She was here by 6pm (fought rush hour traffic) and checked me and was shocked to see that I was at 7cm and in transition. I had been walking around talking to friends and family that had been gathered in our family room to pray. I was in very little pain, which really surprised me.

About an hour later Nancy broke my bag of waters and Mariah was born pink and perfect within about 45 minutes. It was by FAR my easiest birth. I had very little bleeding and healed very quickly.

Nancy came back the next morning after Mariah had peacefully died in my arms and stayed with us to comfort us. She took the 5 rolls of film to Target tobe developed for us and as she did with Spencer, she attended the funeral and stood by to support us.

I should also add that she drove me to and from the Children's Hospital twice (30 mile roundtrip) while Spencer was in the NICU and was very kind and compassionate. I highly doubt you will ever find an OB/GYN who will do that for a woman!

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools