Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Pregnancy Message Boards > Pregnancy, Labor & Childbirth Have you had a homebirth already?

Have you had a homebirth already?

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 03-20-07, 05:16 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%

My first homebirth was my second birth. With my first, I showed up at the hospital basically ready to push and that went quite smoothly. After my first was born, I learned about midwives and homebirth, and I knew it was what I wanted.

My second labour progressed very much the same as the first -- ctx started late in the evening, they were regular and easy to deal with. For a while, I could lie down and rest during them. But then I hit a point where I couldn't lie down, so I got up and spent a lot of time in the shower and bath. The water helped a lot. I did a lot of squatting or leaning over on something and swaying my hips through ctx. Once I felt ready to push, I went to my bedroom and laid down on my bed on my side. My water broke while I was pushing, which took longer than it had with my first. This babe was the same length but a pound heavier than my first, so that might have contributed to it, though of course there are many other factors too. I felt a lot more comfortable at home than I had at the hospital. I vocalized a lot more and I think that helped me avoid the purple pushing I did with my first -- I had broken capillaries all through my neck, face, and eyes after that birth. The actual birth and the recovery after was so calm and peaceful. The mw were very gentle as they helped me get cleaned up and into the tub -- definately no feeling of having to get finished up with me so they could move on to the next mom.

My third birth was very similar. Labour was much shorter -- probably about three hours, and I only pushed through maybe three ctx. Again, I spent most of my time in the bathroom, up until when I was probably starting transition. Then I went into the bedroom and pushed on my hands and knees. I vocalized through the pushes again and felt calm and supported. All of the post-birth stuff, again, was nice and calm and peaceful. Oh, I forgot to mention with my last one too -- delivering the placenta at the hospital was like this big thing that they were worried about and took the focus off of the baby (for me), even though it was very routine. Delivering the placenta at home, I hardly even noticed it, except for finally feeling empty. We had a nice, calm recovery and snuggled up in bed. Even though this labour was the quickest (and this baby was the smallest), I found that I was the most worn out after this birth. I'm glad I didn't have to worry about sharing a bathroom or being in a hospital bed or getting bundled up and travelling home.

Old 03-21-07, 03:04 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%

Beautiful stories, ladies! I love homebirth - there's no other way to birth a baby (if you don't have medical complications), IMO!!!!

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools