Baby Corner

Old 01-20-05, 04:53 PM
Christian Member

Thanked 32 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Angry Homebirth pressure

I don't know if I mentioned over here that my mother is a nurse who works at a local hospital, but she does. I went out with her today to see my sister who just had her baby (at the same hospital that she works at). Anyway, after we left we ate lunch and she told me that one of the doctor's that she sees on a regular basis down there told her he'd deliver me for free if I wanted. I have medical coverage that would cover a hospital birth, I don't want one though. She has also started asking me questions like does she have a doctor she's affiliated with? Or is she going to bring stuff to monitor the baby?

Now that my sister isn't PG anymore she's on my case 100%. I don't know that I can handle all this skepticism. When I told her months ago I was planning on a homebirth she was fine with it. Now that I'm getting closer she's all worried. I told her that she could come with me to my next appointment if she wanted, but she didn't jump at the idea. Its just getting to the point where she may not be present at the birth at all if she keeps up all the knit-picking. I don't want to have to do that, but I am NOT going to be uptight through my labor because she is! Okay, I've vented enough. Anyone have any thoughts for me? Or am I just overreacting? Too much hormonal interference or something.

Old 01-20-05, 11:43 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I don't think you're over reacting

Just let your mom know it's not up for discussion.
Homebirth is such a joyous experience, I hope it works out for
you that she can be there if that is what you want....and if
she's supportive of you

Old 01-21-05, 02:29 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I'm sure it's just because she's uneasy. offer to put her mind at ease but if she's not going to accept it, then do what you need to do. you know how important it is to have the right attitude. hope your mom becomes your best supporter!

now..do you know the answers to her questions? is your mom's attitude causing you any doubts? ( or is she just making you

?) regardless, you should mention it to your midwife, so she is aware of the situation.

Old 01-21-05, 09:10 AM
Christian Member

Thanked 32 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Well, ladies thanks for the encouragement. I think that I have answered all of her questions to the best of my ability. I just don't know how confident I came off sounding to someone who knows me so well. I too have my own concerns and worries, as all mothers do, especially nearing the birth of a new child, homebirth or not. I just don't feel like I should have to bear her worries too. I want her to be confident and supportive for me. At this time in my life, or any other woman's I think, that kind of attitude does nothing but help. I guess I'm going to have to focus on the fact that my mom is still just a person.

Old 01-21-05, 01:18 PM
Charlotte's mommy

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarziesgirl
...She has also started asking me questions like does she have a doctor she's affiliated with? Or is she going to bring stuff to monitor the baby?...Now that I'm getting closer she's all worried. I told her that she could come with me to my next appointment if she wanted, but she didn't jump at the idea...

It sounds as if she's just worried about you and doesn't understand enough about homebirths. It'd probably be a good idea to have her come to your next midwife appt so she could ask your MW questions directly and put her mind at ease. Then maybe she would stop pressuring you to have a hospital birth and be more supportive of you.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools