Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Pregnancy Message Boards > Pregnancy, Labor & Childbirth Need Placenta Previa Success Stories

Need Placenta Previa Success Stories

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 03-26-09, 09:30 PM
Taylor's Mommy

Thanked 30 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Unhappy Need Placenta Previa Success Stories

I am currently 15 weeks pregnant. I have been having on and off brown spotting. I had my OB appt yesterday where we head the heartbeat and everything looked normal. I spoke with my OB about the spotting and she agreed to perform a vaginal scan to rule out an premature dilation of the cervix or anything that would cause me to miscarry. (I had my 2nd missed m/c last April 2008)

I woke up this morning with a minimal "red bleed". I had my scan 2 hours later at which time the spotting was gone. Anyway, the lab tech said the only thing she saw was my placenta was low.

I met with my OB after and she diagnosed me with "placenta previa". She did tell us that 8.5 times out of 10 it corrects itself but she did give us a couple of worst case scenarios that scared the daylights out of me. My placenta is more in the shape of a J, with the longest part along side the baby.

I've been researching the internet but most of the stories I read ~ the person was informed at an U/S but had no spotting.

Any experience?

Old 03-26-09, 09:56 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

it is most often diagnosed these days indeed with the scan and not with bleeding.
Still, bleeding does happen with placenta previa and those are the cases when pelvic rest and bedrest is usually ordered to keep the pressure off of the placenta that covers the cervial opening
In most cases, the previa DOES correct itself because as the belly moves, the placenta follows the belly and 'moves' out of the way as well.
I had placenta previa with #2 and when I went in for a scan quite late in my pregnancy, the technician sort of rolled her eyes and said "I don't know why you're in here so early, usually, they wait a few more weeks to give the placenta more time to move"

So even up until the very end, it still moves and they don't count you out for a c-section birth until the very end (usually) but with bleeding, it's a very serious matter.

As it turned out, my placenta did move, but just barely. I had a complication with mine that we just didn't realize until AFTER the birth. I had had a c-section prior and the placenta had grown into the scartissue of the csection. because the scar wasn't 'moving' like a person's belly normally moves, the placenta didn't really move either. Still, in the end, the Dr measured me and cleared me for a VBAC (if I wanted it) with just a little bit of placenta still there and they changed my situation to "low lying placenta". My OB said that some Drs see a low lying placenta and they automatically cry no vaginal birth!! because they're too scared. But in his experience and expert opinion, that a tiny bit of placenta down low would NOT cause a problem because the head would and does press on the placenta and essentially cuts off the blood flow to that small area and there isn't enough to be 'scraped' or "pushed" with the head so that it comes out before the baby (which is the main fearduring childbirth).

With a J shape, it sounds like yours won't stay covered at the bottom fo long and you should just remain on pelvic rest and try to stay off your feet.

Old 03-26-09, 10:07 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Weekly Activity 620%

I had a low lying placenta/placenta previa with both my kids. I spotted once. It moved both times and I have 2 boys both through vaginal deliveries. She said no sex and that was pretty much it.

Old 03-26-09, 11:15 PM
is lovin' my sweet girl!
Avery Claire's Mama!

Thanked 700 Times
Level: 2
Weekly Activity 2420%

Working L&D we do see spotting with previas a lot... especially since all the pressure of everything is on that very vascular placenta.

Old 03-27-09, 10:28 AM
is ready for some football!!
Michelle - VIP CL

Thanked 793 Times
Weekly Activity 620%

I didn't know you were pg Mandi!

CONGRATS!!!

Hope the placenta previa resolves itself with no more bleeding and the rest of your pg is smooth sailing.

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools