Old 12-03-04, 08:34 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.83%
Cool Stretch Marks

Nearly every woman dreads them.

Most won't talk about them. .
Striae gravidarum, or stretch marks are probably the most discussed and feared of the changes to the body during pregnancy.
These marks appear in 50 - 90% of all pregnant women, usually showing up in the later half of pregnancy as bright red lines, sometimes even purplish. While the majority will be on the lower abdomen they can also be found on the thighs, hips, buttocks, breasts and arms of women.
They tend to be pinkish in light skinned women, and in dark skinned women they will be lighter than the surrounding skin after pregnancy. They reflect the separation of collagen of the skin. While not painful, the stretching of the skin may cause a tingling or itchy sensation. A good lotion can help with the increased dryness or itchiness of the skin, but will not prevent stretch marks no matter how diligent you are or how much you spend on the cream.
While many people will swear by certain creams or lotions, the truth is there is not much you can do about stretch marks, you'll either get them or you won't. There are some factors that you should know contribute to stretch marks:
  • Family (If your mom or sister has them, guess what?)
  • If you had them in a previous pregnancy you may get them again, although usually just a darkened (temporarily) of the old ones and a light extension sometimes.
  • Weight Gain (Rapid or excessive will make this worse.)
  • Nutritional Status (Well hydrated and healthy skin stretches better.)
  • Ethnicity (African American women get them less.)
So, what now? Well, eventually they do fade after you have the baby, becoming silver lines. While most women don't think about them much, or consider them badges of motherhood, others want them removed. There are new techniques and surgeries being explored all the time. Talk to your dermatologist or plastic surgeon if you are concerned

Old 12-06-04, 08:49 PM
Charlotte's mommy

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.83%

I didn't get them while I was pg and thought I was in the clear. After my dd was born my breasts doubled in size and I got them there. My dh didn't know what they were. He thought my baby scratched me badly while Breastfeeding.

Old 03-26-05, 06:37 PM
SAHM

Thanked 2 Times
Weekly Activity 0.83%

i got them in my boobs too. lol

Old 03-27-05, 09:53 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.83%
Default stretch marks

I believed all the stories about expensive creams and all that jazz...up until my 34th week. I had no signs of stretch marks at all until then. So, there you have it the creams don't work (but I had to try it!) For all the changes going on in my body - stretch marks are the least of my worries!

Marn

Old 03-29-05, 06:28 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.83%

I don't believe you can prevent yourself from getting stretch marks if you are prone to them. I was 105lbs when I became pregnant with dd 7 years ago and gained 60lbs. At about 5 months with her I noticed MAJOR purple stretch marks on my buttocks and got them fairly bad on my belly. I used no creams. I also had an appendectomy early so where the stitches were on that scar I had MAJOR purple lines. They seemed to fade enough after I gave birth and I didn't notice them much.

I am now 22 weeks pregnant with #2 and early on I noticed that the original marks were showing up again. I started to use Palmers stretch mark cream which has eased the belly itching and has helped the stretch marks to not appear YET. I know I will get them again but was told to use cream daily and drink lots of water. A well hydrated skin will stretch easier. I'm sure I will get them again but am doing everything I can to minimize them and it seems to be working so far, however I won't be wearing my bikini on vacation LOL.

I have a small bust and was huge while nursing so I have them there too. I'm sure they'll come back again.

Jaime
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
July 2018 Winner
Congratulations Willow!

Calculators & Tools