Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Lost Your Password?

Baby Corner Message Board > Pregnancy Message Boards > Pregnancy Weight Gain Working out during pregnancy

Working out during pregnancy

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 07-31-12, 11:49 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 7
Weekly Activity 4610%
Default Working out during pregnancy

I was pretty active before pregnacy but I had extreme fatigue during the first trimester so all I was doing was sleeping on my free time. I was hoping to start taking walks and maybe some prenatal exercise classes when I feel a little more energized. But the last couple of weeks, I have been trying to be more active and I find that I'm prone to muscle cramps and my fitness level has gone down significantly.

The doctors recommend to keep on staying active if you are used to working out before pregnancy but I found out that I turned into a total couch potato. And I don't know how to bounce back

I keep hearing fit mothers handle birth and recovery better but I think I missed my chance already. After a light exercise in the park on Sunday, I was in all day Monday; my legs, my back I just wish I had pushed myself a little more whn I could so I wouldn't lose all my strenght

Old 08-01-12, 12:08 PM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 6752%

I also heard that more active mothers handle labor better...but I've also know some couch potatoes that said their birth was a breeze!

That 1st trimester can really kick your butt! But you can definitely exercise while pregnant, all the way up to when you go into labor. I was taking an adult dance class when I got pregnant with my 1st and kept it up until I was about 5months along; by then it was getting hard to keep my breath and I honestly felt a little strange with my belly sticking out in our dance costumes, lol! But I did continue with walking during breaks at work.

Then with my 2nd I had joined a gym following a loss to help me channel my energy somewhere uselful and to lose weight. I had been working out for a couple of months before I found out I was pregnant again. And I kept that until about 6 months or so, only b/c we could no longer afford the gym membership. It was a lot of fun and I wish I had kept it up at home and after the baby was born.

Just start out with walking, maybe with some hand held weights. Then you can build it up to even running or other things you previously enjoyed. Just remember to stay hydrated! I've heard that pre-natel yoga is really great. My younger sister is a fitness instructor and was teaching well into her 3rd trimester and then still taking classes up to like the day before her due date! (and I mean some pretty intense aerobic workouts!)

Old 08-01-12, 12:34 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 7
Weekly Activity 4610%

Yes, I think I you're right, I should try and start walking again with hand held weights. That would hopefully help me get off my backside and back into some level of fitness.

Your sister sounds like a superwoman, good for her!

Old 08-16-12, 06:57 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 2
Weekly Activity 555%

Just start off walking again then work up to more things. You will get into it again if you just keep trying to.

Old 09-05-12, 01:46 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%

I've found that I have to do my workout in the morning. If I decide to wait until evening I have no energy to go and I don't workout that day. If your schedule permits get the workout done before 3pm. I've also noticed I pay for my workouts the next day in serious soreness. Stretching is a must! I purchased prenatal yoga and Pilates DVDs and they are great because they focus on the baby and being pregnant. And when I do go to the gym I watch season 5 of the Rachel Zoe project while she's pregnant and it's so entertaining I get through my workout faster... And be easy on what you can ask of your body cause it's busy building a baby!

Latest Articles
28 Baby Products That Save Time & Make Your Life Easier
After baby arrives, your time will be precious. Here are some of our favorite time savings baby products that are must haves for any Mom. Includes Editor's picks, and favorites from Moms and Dads to help make your life easier.

Babies Understand More Language Than We Think
A new study from the University of Washington shows that babies learn language much sooner than we thought. Learn why it's important to read and talk to your baby early, and often.

Star Pregnancy and Birth Announcements Summer 2014
See the pregnancy and birth announcements for summer of 2014 including Kristen Bell, Jimmy Kimmel, Eva Mendes and more!

Am I Pregnant or is this PMS?
Sometimes it's hard to tell if you're pregnant, or if your period is just coming late this month. Use this guide to help you tell the difference.

The EEOC Updates the Pregnancy Discrimination Act
US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has revised it's guidelines protecting working pregnant women, and those who wish to become pregnant even more than before.

May 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations farul!

Calculators & Tools