Baby Corner Message Board

Baby Corner Message Board (http://www.thebabycorner.com/boards/)
-   Pregnancy Weight Gain (http://www.thebabycorner.com/boards/pregnancy-weight-gain-547)
-   -   Working out during pregnancy (http://www.thebabycorner.com/boards/pregnancy-weight-gain-547/working-out-during-pregnancy-402572)

SoccerPlayerMom 09-06-12 12:11 AM

Thanks for the great tips ladies! I did manage to get more active this past month but as I'm getting bigger, things get trickier. But I'm not giving up because I still have 2,5 months to go.

kerryw 09-13-12 02:13 PM

I was very fir prior to falling pregnant, running around 20 miles per week (mostly inside), and now I am 17 weeks pregnant, ave gained around 8lbs, cannot stop eating, and my usual routine is out of the window.

Some days i struggle to run for 20 mins, but i have just started personal training sessions for upper body and legs and it as given me a real energy boost without putting the pressure on my joints, its worth a try. Also found that working out in the morning on an empty stomach or very small meal works best.

Keep at it, you find you start to feel better as you get further into your second trimester.

SoccerPlayerMom 09-14-12 12:15 AM

Hi Kerryw,
You'll be glad you continue with the work outs later, I'm currently 29 weeks and those lazy months are cathing up with me, I'm so out of shape and any kind of exercise just wears me down. My joints, hips are aching and I move like an old lady lol. Now I know that next time (if I get to be pregnant again) I'll stay in shape as long as I can into the later months.
Keep up the good work!

AlisonMalambri 10-17-12 05:34 AM

Working out during pregnancy allows you to maintain a good level of health and fitness, which can help you during pregnancy and beyond. Realistic goals are important—now is not the time for losing pounds or inches, nor is it the time to try new things. If you've been exercising for a while, you should be able to continue with your doctor's consent. If you don't normally exercise, it's important to keep your workouts basic.

"The big thing I tell women is that pregnancy is not the time to all of a sudden begin an exercise program," says Dr. Robert Atlas, MD, of Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore, Maryland. "If they enter pregnancy with a program that is fine, however to enter not doing anything and think this is the time to do heavy exercises is wrong."

Depending on your current level of fitness, your prenatal workouts will vary. If you are a runner, you can continue to run at a pace that suits you. Your body will be the determining factor—if it doesn't want to go for 45 minutes anymore, it will tell you. If you didn't run before pregnancy, now is not the time to start. Stick to walking on the treadmill, recumbent cycling, or another form of non-ballistic exercise. Swimming is always a good choice as it keeps your body cool and your joints won't take a beating. Don't forget that you are still expending energy—stay hydrated before and after any type of aerobic exercise.

karla orrego 07-06-14 04:23 PM

ive gained only 10 pounds and barely 19 weeks...is that healthy?or too much weight gain..this will be my first pregnancy....