Baby Corner

Old 10-04-10, 01:12 AM
Community Member

Thanked 175 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.43%
Default Books

Have you read any good informational books that pertain to your childs condition or diagnosis? If so, please feel free to list them here. I will organize them and make this thread a sticky. This is a good way to share information. I will also find a link to the book that you list to help organize as well. If you have any questions, please let me know!

Old 10-04-10, 02:50 AM
Community Member

Thanked 175 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Special Needs

My Baby Rides the Short Bus: The Unabashedly Human Experience of Raising Kids with Disabilities by Yantra Bertelli, Jennifer Silverman, and Sarah Talbot
(

)

Wrightslaw: From Emotions to Advocacy - The Special Education Survival Guide (2nd. ed.) by Pete Wright and Pam Wright.

I'll steal the blurb from their companion website to explain what the book has in it.

In this comprehensive, easy-to-read book, you learn to:
Develop a master plan for your child's special education
Organize your child's file
Work with consultants and evaluators
Write SMART IEP goals and objectives
Use test scores to monitor your child's progress
Resolve parent-school conflict early
Write effective letters and create paper trails
Use parent agendas to improve meeting outcomes

There's a companion website with downloads, links and tons of updated information too:

Shut Up About Your Perfect Kid: A Survival Guide for Ordinary Parents of Special Children by Gina Gallagher and Patricia Konjoian

Sensory Processing Disorder

The Out of Sync Child: Recognizing and Coping with Sensory Processing Disorder, Revised Edition by Carol Kranowitz and Lucy Jane Miller
(

)

The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun, Revised Edition: Activities for Kids with Sensory Processing Disorder
by Carol Kranowitz
(

)

Raising a Sensory Smart Child: The Definitive Handbook for Helping Your Child with Sensory Processing Issues by Lindsey Biel and Nancy Peske
(

)
*taken from Rudi's sensory post*

Autism

Louder Than Words: A Mother's Journey in Healing Autism by Jenny McCarthy
(

)

Mother Warriors by Jenny McCarthy
(

)

Healing and Preventing Autism: A Complete Guide by Jenny McCarthy and Jerry Kartzinel, M.D.
(

)

The Autism Book: What Every Parent Needs to Know About Early Detection, Treatment, Recovery, and Prevention (Sears Parenting Library) by Robert W. Sears, MD FAAP
(

)

Gravity Pulls You In: Perspectives on Parenting Children on the Autism Spectrum (Mom's Choice Award Recipient) by Kyra Anderson and Vicki Forman

A Pebble to Polish by Janet Lord Leszl (fiction)

The Panic Virus: A True Story of Medicine, Science and Fear by Seth Mnookin

The Anti-Romantic Child: A Story of Unexpected Joy by Priscilla Gilman.

Gluten Free Diet

Gluten-Free Cooking For Dummies by Danna Korn and Connie Sarros
(

)

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Gluten-Free Eating by Eve Adamson and Tricia Thompson, MS, RD
(

)

Gluten-Free Quick & Easy: From Prep to Plate Without the Fuss - 200+ Recipes for People with Food Sensitivities by Carol Fenster, Ph.D
(

)

Sign Language

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Conversational Sign Language Illustrated by Carole Lazorisak and Dawn Donohue *mine came with a DVD*
(

)

Down Syndrome

Road Map to Holland: How I Found My Way Through My Son's First Two Years With Down Syndrome by Jennifer Graf Groneberg
(

)

Magazines

Autism Asperger's Digest Magazine
(

)

Autism Spectrum Quarterly Magazine
(

)

Last edited by onemellogirl; 08-03-11 at 01:34 AM.

Old 10-12-10, 06:37 PM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Weekly Activity 8.57%

I finished reading Raising a Sensory Smart Child yesterday, and I highly recommend it.

Old 10-12-10, 10:01 PM
Community Member

Thanked 175 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Glad you enjoyed it, I think Im going to look at it myself!

Old 12-05-10, 02:27 AM
Community Member

Thanked 175 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Updated 12/5/10:

Gravity Pulls You In: Perspectives on Parenting Children on the Autism Spectrum (Mom's Choice Award Recipient) by Kyra Anderson and Vicki Forman

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools