Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Trying to Conceive Message Boards > Trying To Conceive an article by our own Elizabeth Geiger

an article by our own Elizabeth Geiger

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 10-13-04, 10:29 PM
VIP Member

Location: Originally from PA. Now live in OK. Did, however, spend 5 yrs in HK.
Thanked 129 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.43%
Thumbs up an article by our own Elizabeth Geiger

When I was surfing the web for ttc info I came across this article, by our own Elizabeth Geiger, on another site. Thought the rest of you might enjoy reading it since it is by one of TBC's owners.

Is this the right time for you?

Having a baby is one of the most important decisions a couple can make. Today, we have more control over whether or not we have children than any other generation and it can be difficult to decide on the right time to try for a baby.

In the 1990s, more women are having children later in life. And although it is still most common to have a first child during your twenties, patterns of motherhood are definitely changing.

A woman is at her most fertile in her early twenties and her fertility tends to decline quite rapidly after the age of 35. So the longer you leave it, the harder you may find it to conceive.

But no matter whether you are in your twenties, thirties or forties, once you've made the decision to try for a baby, there's a lot you can do to improve your chances of conception and ensure your child gets the best possible start in life, even before it's born.

How long does it take to get pregnant?

Many women feel it is important to know that they are fertile to allow them the opportunity of planning their life.

When you consider that many of us have grown up with the mistaken belief that you can get pregnant at any time of the month, it's easy to understand why some women are devastated if, having made the decision to try for a baby, they then experience problems conceiving.

The facts of life

If your own fertility and that of your partner is normal, there is roughly only a 1 in 3 chance of becoming pregnant each menstrual cycle. On average, it
takes couples about 3 to 6 months to conceive. There is a 15 - 20% chance that a woman may not have achieved pregnancy within a year. 1 in 6 UK couples have lower than average fertility, and take more than a year to conceive.

I'm Not Pregnant Yet: Now What?

I know too well what it is like. Before I got pregnant with my daughter, I was constantly buying home pregnancy tests, searching for signs. It wasn't until I stopped worrying about getting pregnant , that I finally did get pregnant. I think it was my anxiety that prevented it. My advice to you is to RELAX. Maybe all you and your partner need is time together. Take a short vacation. But relax.

You have a greater chance of conceiving when you are most fertile. Keep track of your menstrual cycle. Note the first day of each period. Ovulation usually occurs at the midpoint of your cycle. This is when you are most fertile. For example - the 14th day in a 28 day cycle.

Physical signs of ovulation
Temperature is first low in the morning, and then abruptly rises. Vaginal mucus is clear, and jelly like Cervix turns from pinkish to bluish Or you can get that new ovulation predictor kit in a drugstore.

Prepare your body

Get a complete physical. Tell your doctor that are trying to get pregnant. S/he may have some advice for you. Improve your diet. Eliminate junk food. Eat whole grains, fruits and vegetable. Getting enough folic acid before conception can prevent certain birth defects. Start and exercise program. Tone and strengthen your muscles for pregnancy. But avoid overheating. An overheated body is no place for a new baby.

(Elizabeth Geiger is mother of two girls, Cassi and Hannah. She is also the editor of The Baby Corner website, a supportive community for Moms, new Moms, & Moms-to-be, which she runs with her husband, Scott. Together they enjoy spending time with their girls, cooking, and working together on their site.)

Old 10-15-04, 12:49 AM
B.A.G. Mommy!!!

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Whoo-Hoo!!!!!!!!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools