Baby Corner

Old 02-11-05, 05:53 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default beta numbers confusing

Hi everyone!

Advice please. My fertility clinic called this afternoon. Quick background - I've been absent from here for a while. My db and I are TTC with clomid and this month Puregon. My periods have gone from 28 days natural cycle to 38-39 days with fertility meds. This month I'm at 45 days today which my Dr. is assuming is caused by an annovulatory cycle. But - and here's the kicker... I had a blood test today. I expected to hear that we are negative again and will be trying again asap. Instead, they call and say the expected 0 beta level is actually a number 1. What does that mean? She said they were surprised to get a '1' level and will test again in a week to see if it's a lab error or if something is going on. Can anyone tell me what level hcg 'beta' tests should be at this stage?? Why is a 1 a bad thing?? What does 1 mean? My db is anxiously searching the web for more info but unsuccessfully. I'm tapping you guys for advice because collectively I know you know everything I need to know. Thanks!!!

Old 02-11-05, 09:49 PM
Soon-to-Be Mommy of 3!

Thanked 309 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Really, it means nothing and they probably should have just not said anything. A beta under 5 is considered negative for pregnancy, although usually if you're not pregnant you're at a 0. Some people can have a tiny amount of hcg in their systems at any given time, which is why a qualitative beta (yes or no) is better than a quantitative beta. They want to check again to see if it goes up, because there's a slight possibility that if you're beta is more than 0 you could be very early pregnant. (We're talking hours after implantation, here) So, it's nothing to worry about. But here's hoping that it DOES go up!

Old 02-11-05, 09:51 PM
Soon-to-Be Mommy of 3!

Thanked 309 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Also, they might be concerned because some ovarian cysts can cause hcg production, but generally this would give you levels around 20 and 1 is still nothing to worry about.

Old 02-12-05, 04:50 AM
VIP Member

Location: Originally from PA. Now live in OK. Did, however, spend 5 yrs in HK.
Thanked 129 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I know nothing about betas, but I wish you all the best!

Old 02-12-05, 09:29 PM
Kendall and Avery's Mommy

Thanked 33 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

My hcg levels were a 3 or 4 when I was first tested. My dr. said they don't consider someone pregnant with less than 5, but she tested me 2 days later and they went up to 36! So...........you could be VERY early pregnant.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools