Baby Corner

Old 08-08-06, 07:30 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default Clomid Question....

Hi, ladies! I am on CD 8 and on tomorrow will be my last day of Clomid. This is my first month and I have been hearing some conflicting information about when we should have intercourse.

Also, I have been doing a lot of research and everything says that Clomid is prescribed for women who don't ovulate or at least not regularly. All of the tests confirmed that I have been ovulating each month. My husband seems hopeful this will work, but after reading all of this I am having doubts.

Does anyone have any experience with Clomid?? Thanks!!!

Old 08-08-06, 08:13 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I am sorry, I am not a pro on the Clomid, but you will want to have intercourse as close to ovulation as possible. Do you use OPK's? They can help you in determining your most fertile days

Old 08-09-06, 02:16 PM
is all about the PINK!!!
Proud American Teacher!!

Thanked 652 Times
Weekly Activity 120%

Sorry hon, but this is an area I know nothing about. Can you call your doc and ask if you should be charting, taking temps, using OPK's, checking CM..... You will need to be baby dancing before, during and after the ovulation/LH surge to make the most of your chances.
Good Luck!

Old 08-09-06, 03:58 PM
Community Member

Thanked 5 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Clomid is a fertility med to induce ovulation in those who don't ovulate, it can also lengthen ones leutal phase. I'm not sure why your doc has you on it if you O on your own, there are other treatments for short leutal phases which have fewer side effects.

Are you being monitored? u/s, b/w and such to determine # follies and when you'll be O ing? If not, RED FLAG, call your doc and ask some questions like why are you on this stuff and they aren't monitoring you at least on the first cycle?

It's true, that clomid isn't a "Big Gun" like injectables and lots of OBGYN's will prescribe it as a first course of action without a full fertility work up, but it's not a great idea. Everyone responds differently to clomid. Some don't O at all, some get tons of follies. That's the scary thing. Without monitoring, you won't know which you are and mega multiples though rare, are not out of the question.

Here are a few things to keep in mind with clomid.

It can dry up your CM, making charting using CM ineffective.

Clomid (Serophene/clomiphene citrate) can cause a false positive in OPKs if taken too soon after finishing the prescription. According to most of the manufacturers you should wait at least 3 days before using an OPK. If you take Clomid days 3-7 you can begin testing on day 10. If you take it 5-9, you should wait until day 12.

Using clomid month after month can thin your uterine lining making implantation less likely as time goes on.

My last re refused to use clomid more than 4-6 cycles, because the longer you use it, the less likely it is it to work.

Sorry i didn't really answer you question, but hopefully someone else can help more. Best advice, ask your doc. If their monitoring you, they'll be able to tell you for sure.

Old 08-09-06, 04:06 PM
Community Member

Thanked 5 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Hey, just found this link, tried to edit it into my post, but I'm a spaz.
Don't know if it has anything in it that will be new to you, it does say that women who already ovulate don't get much out of Clomid.

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools