Baby Corner

Old 02-19-05, 06:37 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Question Do I need a second opinion?

For all of you who have become IUI experts Can you answer my questions? This week I had my 6th IUI with donor sperm. I am starting to get very frustrated with the whole process. In September 2003, I was 17 weeks pregnant when I went into labor and was unable to stop it. I delivered a beautiful little boy, he was conceived naturally. After that experience I decided I wanted to try again. Since my sons father left I decided to use a donor. In June of 2004 I had my 1st IUI. Now it is February, I have had 5 failed IUI's and am currently on my 2ww on my 6th attempted. I have asked my doctor if we can try a new approach, I have currently been doing no meds, and he has told me he will not look into any fertility issues until I have tried for a year, or 12 attempts. Since my insurance considers this a preexisting condition this has all been out of pocket, do I need to get a second opinion? My current doctor feels that since I have been pregnant before infertility is not the issue. Also, How long is washed sperm viable once inseminated. I have read 6-12 hours with 24 being the longest. When I asked my doctor he says 2-3 days. He will perform the insemination when the ultrasound shows an egg that measures between 17-18mm. Isn't this too soon? I am getting really frustrated. Do I need to see another doc or is he correct? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-19-05, 07:22 PM
Proud Canadian DI Mom

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

We used DIUI for almost 5 years and our successful protocol was always using an HCG trigger when follies measured 18-20mm and single IUI 24 hours later. We also had to pay all out of pocket (although in Canada we do not pay for b/w or u/s) about $2500 a month for sperm, IUI and meds!

The same rule applies here about trying for 1 year before moving onto meds...you really do not want to add meds if you do not need them as they can mess up a good thing! Sounds like you have have nice follies and your timing might be a bit premature. Frozen samples once thawed live only about 12-24 hours...not as long as your DR suggest I do not think. Maybe once follies are shown at 18mm (which is considered mature) wait 24-48 hours before doing your IUI...just a thought! We did ours earlier but also used an HCG trigger to ensure we would ovulate sooner...

Old 02-27-05, 04:35 AM
is hoping for good news soon!
VIP Member

Thanked 123 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Your follicle size, and timing with IUI totally depends on what drugs if any you are useing to ovulate. Natural, clomid, injectables all have different suggested timing for IUIs. A lead follicle say on clomid should be about 22mm, but on a natural cycle would be different.

The important thing to try and remember is IUI's may take a while. Some of the latest information says 18% of women will get pregnant with IUI's in 4 cycles. As frustrating as it might be, it could possibly take 12 cycles for your IUI to work.

Old 02-28-05, 02:43 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I'm fairly new at the IUI process but I know my RE offers double inseminations within 24-48 hrs. That might cost more but it may be an option. Not sure that it is but worth asking about.

Old 03-01-05, 11:48 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I've been TTC for about 7 months. I can completely understand your frustration and I spend a lot of time myself trying to figure out how to best coordinate a cycle. I am, though, on Clomid and injectibles and can vouch for their less than fun side effects. I wish I could try naturally for a while.

The way I look at all of this is time that has to be put in. It will be really frustrating for you if after a year you haven't conceived and you discover a fertility issue that prevented ovulation or pregnancy. But, the doctor has protocols he has to follow, and based on your previous pregnancy, it sounds like you conceive fine on your own.

One way you might want to look at it though, is if you had the opportunity to BD every other day with viable sperm your chances of catching ovulation at the right time would be higher. Using donor and IUI is a one off sort of thing. That doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong with you or with your doctor's plan. It just might take some coordinating, time and luck. My doctor is constantly reminding me that they don't have a crystal ball and much of what they do is educated guess work.

I started out with donor and IUI. I am now engaged to be married to a wonderful man who has joined my fertility goals as if they were his own. In that I've been blessed. But mentally, I've probably thought a lot of the things you're wound up about and completely acknowledge that this can be tough to deal with.

My one concern reading your initial message is that you don't sound 100% confident in what your doctor is recommending. I work in the emergency medical profession myself and we encourage anyone who's not 100% confident to seek a second opinion. Partly to ease concerns and partly to verify we haven't missed anything. If that would help you relax into what you're working on, I say where's the harm?

I wish you all the luck and hope you get where you want to be soon!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools