Baby Corner

Old 07-31-08, 02:32 PM
Community Member

Thanked 1 Time
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.43%
Default Fertility Drugs + Insurance

Hey Ladies!

My husband and I are ttc #1. I started clomid in June and I'm on my 3rd cycle. I have BCBS HMO for my insurance and they aren't covering any fertility treatments. Needless to say, things are getting expensive.

Open enrollment is in October and I would love to switch to an insurance company that covers some of this (ultrasounds, bloodwork, HCG, Clomid, IUI's, IVF's, etc).

Anyone know of any?

You would think more insurance companies would pay for this stuff... in the end there will be more babies which means more $$$ for them in the long run!!

Old 07-31-08, 02:49 PM
is all about the PINK!!!
Proud American Teacher!!

Thanked 652 Times
Weekly Activity 8.57%

Most plans offer these as a part of their comprehensive coverage -- the trick is that your employer has to decide to pick it up (like an item in a cefteria line) for the company policy coverage.

Where are you located? Here in Upstate NY, we have BCBS, an HMO insurance company called CDPHP and another HMO -- I only remember the logo is an apple -- and my employer lets us pick which of the the three companies we want to enroll with or gives us $$$ back for picking nothing.

I would talk to your HR person and go to any open enrollment meetings they have and ask the company reps. what your business buys into and what your level of coverage would be. I'd also ask if they will cover it or not since it may be considered a "pre-existing condition".

Good Luck!

PS -- I'd say you are better with an HMO for fertility than straight insurance like BCBS.... not as much out of pocket payments and waiting for claims to approved and reimbursed.

Last edited by Oreo; 07-31-08 at 03:36 PM.

Old 07-31-08, 03:08 PM
is cancer free :)
Community Member

Thanked 432 Times
Weekly Activity 65.71%

It depends on the BCBS insurance that you have - mine covers everything.

Old 07-31-08, 05:52 PM
Community Member

Thanked 1 Time
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Thanks for the tips DCnanny! I will ask my HR person and try to attend one of the meetings.

I live in GA and work for a public school system. I know they give us a choice between 3 (BCBS, United, and CIGNA). I wish I had looked into this last year. If only we could turn back the clock...

Hopefully next year I won't need fertility coverage!

Old 07-31-08, 07:09 PM
is loving being a Mum to a miracle
British Community Leaders

Thanked 283 Times
Weekly Activity 15.71%

I don't have any advice for you as I live in the UK, and we have a different health system, but I wanted to say

and good luck with TTC#1
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools