Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Trying to Conceive Message Boards > Trying To Conceive Fertilty problems at a young age....HELP!!

Fertilty problems at a young age....HELP!!

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 11-01-08, 07:22 PM
Community Member

Thanked 13 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.33%
Default Fertilty problems at a young age....HELP!!

My husband and I have been ttc for about 10 months now. I spoke with my obgyn when we started and he said to come back if I had any problems. So we just did the baby dance on a regular basis. My cycle was regular up until July. After my July cycle I didn't receive a cycle up until October 31. I went back to the doctor in August, they did a blood pregnancy test which came back negative. Then they sent me to get other blood work and all the test came back fine. He gave me a rx for provera. That didn't do anything. He then gave me the option of getting back on birth control pills to get my period but that defeated the purpose of getting off of them in the first place. So the next option was to just start taking clomid. I took 50 mg for 5 days. On days 6 I started spotting but only for 1 day. I called him back and told him what was going on. His response was to take the clomid again if I got my cycle, and to go see a fertility doctor. I am only 23 years old and all this scares me! I mean you see 16 year olds getting pregnant with no problems! I don't know what to expect when I go see him. Has anyone else had this problem? Or have seen a fertility doctor that can tell me what to expect?

Old 11-02-08, 07:08 AM
is loving being a Mum to a miracle
British Community Leaders

Thanked 283 Times
Weekly Activity 14.67%
Talking

Although we have been TTC for 10 years I want to state I am not a health professional, just someone who's been around, a lot!!

The theory is that you don't need a periods to start Clomid, but most Drs will not prescribe it until you do, and in the 10 years of supporting people here I've never heard of someone being given Clomid to 'induce a period'. That doesn't mean that it's not done, just that I've never heard of it.

I've no idea what blood tests your Dr did, do you know? Have you had any ultrasound scans to rule out cysts, or physical problems?

Generally speaking if there is no bleeding after Provera, then it could be that the hypothalamus and pituitary gland are not signaling the ovary to do its stuff, or the ovary is not listening to the hormonal message.

A lot of ObGyn's are not fully trained in infertility, they just have basic knowledge, and have a few things that they will try. My guess is that he isn't fully trained in infertility, and that as per his suggestion you need to find a RE. Who is specially trained and will be better qualified to diagnose and treat you.

Wishing you lots of luck, and I also wanted to say "Welcome"

to TBC, I hope your stay with us is short but very sweet.

PS You might find this helpful with all the abbreviations we use here...

Last edited by Tracey and Neil; 11-02-08 at 07:10 AM.

Old 11-02-08, 11:39 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Weekly Activity 41.33%

Welcome!

Old 11-02-08, 02:58 PM
Community Member

Thanked 13 Times
Weekly Activity 1.33%

I don't think that the doctor gave me clomid to induce my period, I think that he just gave it to me so I would ovulate so that we could hopefully get pregnant...I don't know what test the doctor ran, I know there was like 6 or 7 different test! He didn't do an ultrasound. But after posting this last night my husband did more research on the topic and we decided that we would wait another couple months until we see a fertility doctor. In the meantime, I am planning on keep taking the clomid and just keep trying. And just have some more fun!

Old 11-02-08, 04:53 PM
is gonna have 2 under 2!
Expecting our Miracle

Thanked 348 Times
Weekly Activity 1.33%

Hey, like you I'm 23 and ttc our 1st. After I came off of birthcontrol about 15 months ago I went months without a cycle. Since then I've been diagnosed with PCOS. I would definitely see a RE. They're very skilled in the area whereas your OB-GYN hasn't specialized in infertility. I started out with my OB-GYN like you did due to no period. I too took Provera & Clomid. However I didn't receive any results and up until recently had not been ovulating. It is something that you never would imagine especially being young but within the last year I have realized that it is quite common.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools