Baby Corner

Old 11-20-05, 01:06 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Question Help me with my timing hangup

I know this is going to sound silly but maybe after hearing others' thoughts, we'll be better able to make the right desicion for us. DH and I have a two year old boy. After our DS was born, hubby lost his job due to economy and cutbacks (I should mention here that I stay home with DS). Hubby bounced back in a matter of two weeks with a large, well-known company - we even relocated a short 40 miles to be closer which was nothing short of a bonus for us as it's what we had wanted for a long time anyway - the job just made it easier to do. As our luck had it, a year and a half later- the so-called great company reorganized and eliminated a few of the newbies - my husband included. After several grueling months DH is back to work with a small company that he feels really good about. He started in mid-Oct and although he has a lot of work and learning to do in this position, he really enjoys the company, the growth potential not only for him but the company as well and he really likes the employees. He and his ideas seem to be well-recieved and he's even heard a comment from a co-worker about the company hanging on to him for a long time (tell me thats not an ego boost after the last couple jobs

) . We had been discussing more kids over a year ago but speculation of the last job loss kept us from following through. Now that he's back on his feet we've been talking more about it. We both agree to want another baby but for some reason, I can't help but be a little leary of another job loss. I don't think it's right to keep postponing because I certainly can't control the future but I am scared to death of going through it again. Any thoughts would be welcome!!!

Old 11-20-05, 01:16 PM
Paige's Mommy

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I saw your post, and I have to say, I know EXACTLY how you feel. I was pregnant with out first child, this year, we were building a new house, and then a month after we closed and moved into the house, WHAMMO, Craig lost his job. Needless to say at 8 months pregnant with a $134,000 mortgage looming. I was a mess. He was off work for 5 month (it got pretty ugly there for awhile) He's now working again, when wonder of all wonders, I find out I'm pregnant again. The money situtation is not a pretty one, but we make due, with what we have and do what we can. The decision to have a child in this uncertain ecomony is a very difficult one, but you can look at it this way. You won't need to buy a whole lot right off the bat, like with the first, you have a crib, pnp, swing ......all that stuff, if you bottle fed you still have those. The most you might have to do is a new wardrobe if you have a girl this time. Or you could luck out with another boy. Yes children are expensive, but in the end very worth it. I'm sure you know this. Try to stay positive should you try again. I hope I was able to help you out some. Good luck.

Old 11-20-05, 05:10 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I'm a firm believer in if you wait till all cicumstances are perfect you will never do it. Our house burned to the ground and we had to live in a travel camper, all during ttc. Then once I got pg I got fired from my job. We were building a new house and had a 6 year old at the time. You know you want another one - Just do it!

Old 12-17-05, 04:49 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I have to tell you that as the Mommy of 8 planned children, there really never is a perfect time. I say go for it and enjoy! Life is too short to wait. Sometimes we wait and then it doesn't ever happen for us.

Old 01-10-06, 04:09 PM
Mommy of a toddler

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I totally agree. When we first found out that I was pregnant, my job was going great (I thought) and we were both doing well financially. Then the job that I was working for went bankrupt the week before I had my daughter. We were also looking into buying a house and the papers were finialized just a week before I lost my job. So here we were with a baby on the way and very little income and a new house to pay for. Things were rocky for awhile but you just have to watch your P's and Q's. You'll be fine............just go for it. God works in mysterious ways and he is always there for you. Good luck!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools