Baby Corner

Old 09-27-06, 02:15 PM
is in love with the new man in her life!
VIP Member

Thanked 179 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default Lasik and pregnancy

I have no idea where this question really fits on the boards, but anyway:

My contact prescription is up and I need more contacts. But I have insurance now which will cover a significant amount of lasik surgery which I have been wanting to have done forever. But I seem to recall being told that eye sight will change during pregnancy, and since I am actively TTC and trying to stay positive, I wondered if I am sucessful this month (I won't know for another 7-10 days) if that would prevent me from being able to have it done.
I guess I basically don't want to start the process, take off time for the evaluation and all if I am not goign to be able to follow through.
Any eye doctors out there? Or at least someone who knows anything about pregnancy and precriptions?

Old 09-29-06, 07:54 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

yes - your eye prescription can and oftentimes does change with pregnancy.

You could technically have the surgery done and have great results if you had your eyes mapped out now before you are pregnant and the eyes swell. Then, even if you do have the surgery , the changes will only be changed to reflect your prior mapping.

Also, Lasik is safe to have done when pregnant .. that I am aware of.. except for the fact that they give you valum when you have the surgery done and they give you prescriptions for some pretty heavyduty pain medications for afterwords. I didn't use the pain medications, but the valum us pretty mandatory. I don't know if that is safe to take while pg or not. (my guess is not in the first trimester at least)

if you're not pg this month, I would take a month off from TTC and go and have the surgery done.. then get back to

for that baby.

I had the surgery done many years ago and have since had/convinced about a dozen of my friends to have it done too (Including my dh)

Old 09-29-06, 10:09 PM
is in love with the new man in her life!
VIP Member

Thanked 179 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Thanks!

Old 09-30-06, 12:47 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 170 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

good luck with whatever you decide

Old 10-01-06, 06:12 PM
SAHM mom of two.

Thanked 50 Times
Weekly Activity 120%

They don't always give you valium. I had my lasik done in July. I got no drugs other than eye drops. There wasn't much pain and they told me just to go home and take Tylenol PM and go to sleep for a few hours. By the next morning I felt perfectly fine. Many lasik places no longer give any drugs of any kind (other than the eye drops.)
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools