Baby Corner

Old 07-19-06, 11:19 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Hi Canuckmom, congrats on dh being cancer-free for 7 years, thats wonderful

I am in South Africa, I am guessing you are in Canada??? (I work in a library and we have a book called 'Canuck chicks and Maple leaf mommas' which is hilarious!

)
My hubby had radiation instead of chemo. In a way I envy you having been with him at the time of his treatment. My dh was 25 when diagnosed and he was involved with someone else at the time

. He has been cancer-free for 12 years with one 'small' scare a couple of years ago which turned out to be nothing, thank God!!
I am hoping to get the SA done very soon as I am tired of guessing who has the problem. If its not too nosey of me may I ask what effect the treatment had on your dh's sperm count\quality?

Old 07-19-06, 01:34 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

I don't mind you asking at all. We don't really know the answer to that question however as SA was not done before surgery and chemo so we don't know if he had these issue before he got sick or if they are a result of his treatment. However, we do know that his count is a little on the low side and his motility is on the low side of average. I consider ourselves lucky that he is still "average". If you would like some more info feel free to email me.

Old 07-19-06, 01:41 PM
Community Member

Thanked 1 Time
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Oh yes, make Full use of the long list of undignified things that we get done to us if you get any issues with him going in for the Sa!! Having seen me have a lap, several internal u/s's, jabs, exams, and top of the list the egg-collection (I tried to bite his arm during that

I don't think I'll Ever hear a complaint over him having to go for an SA

(Dh has a v. low count with immobile spermies, no know reason)
I'm also shocked they didn't do an Sa post treatment. I hope you can get him to go for one soon and it gives good news

Old 07-20-06, 05:20 PM
is hoping for good news soon!
VIP Member

Thanked 123 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Congratulations on being cancer free! That is just wonderful!

Education is the key to infertility. Let your husband know exactly what is going on, and what he will do as far as his SA goes. Make a nice trip, stop and eat dinner afterwords. I can say most men do not want to do SA's because they don't want to visit the doctors, but in truth because they are afraid of the results. Truly it is so hard for a man to know he is infertile, I think much more than any woman.

Best of luck with the test.

susanne

Last edited by baby hungry; 07-21-06 at 12:05 PM.

Old 07-21-06, 11:41 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Thank you everyone who responded, your words were all very much appreciated.

I am feeling far more determined about the whole SA thing, but I will approach dh with love and sensitivity, I am only starting to realize how much of a blow this could be to him. I never gave it much thought as he has always downplayed the issue and said that its not a big problem for him that we may never have kids. I think that a lot of that has been a self-defense mechanism (one that I have often employed myself so I should have seen through it loooong ago!)
I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend

, chat to you all next week,
Tracy
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools