Baby Corner

Old 09-04-04, 06:26 PM
Community Member

Thanked 1 Time
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default O/T Emergency Surgery

OMG ... I was at the grocery this morning waiting in line and got a call from my BF saying that Dante's (our English Bulldog) eye was bleeding. So I paid for my groceries and rushed home. We took him to the emergency pet hospital. They said that he punctured his eyeball and that the inside of his eye was protruding out of the eye (sorry so gross). I couldn't believe it so they showed me. I have no idea how this happened. He never cried or anything. The only thing we can figure is that he must've scratched through it somehow. Anyway, they are removing his eye tonight. They said that it's going to be done so that it just looks like a smooth patch of skin over the eye socket. My heart just broke for my little furry baby. He's only 4 1/2 years old (that makes him 33 in human years). I'm just waiting for the call from the vet to let us know that he's ok. They are going to neuter him while he's under anesthesia. We hadn't had him neutered yet because BF wanted to breed him. I can't stop thinking about him. If I knew how to post a picture on here I would show you all what he looks like.

Old 09-05-04, 11:25 AM
Community Member

Thanked 2 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Lurking. Hi Sonji. I'm one of your old buddies from the DI board. There is nothing that makes my heart ache as when one of my dogs is in pain. Can you tell I'm not a parent of a two legged child yet? I'm so sorry this happened to Dante. Maybe there was some underlying infection that cause Dante to scratch so hard. I wish him a speedy recovery. He'll be up and about before you know it.

Old 09-05-04, 08:27 PM
Community Member

Thanked 1 Time
Weekly Activity 20%

Thank you Glinda. His surgery was delayed until this morning because the surgeon wasn't available. He made it through the surgery just fine. The surgeon said that everything looked good. He had warned me that one of the risks with this type of surgery is that there could be damage to the other eye from the stretching of the nerves (I don't know how that would effect the other eye because I thought they were completely separate). The vet then suggested that I might want to have Dante's skin folds in his face removed to avoid a yeast infection. I thought that was rediculous. That's like saying I should have my toes removed to avoid athlete's foot! Dante's a bulldog and bulldogs have skin folds. What a silly vet. Anyway, we'll be able to go see him tomorrow and he will be coming home on Tuesday. They don't allow visitors on the day of surgery so we haven't seen him at all today. I can't wait to see my little sweetie!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools