Baby Corner

Old 01-10-07, 11:13 AM
Wyatt's Mommy

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.33%
Default OB or MidWife

Can someone tell me what the difference is? We are talking about having our third baby and I hate all but one of the dr's at my OB so I was thinking of a midwife but wanted to k no what was different.

Old 01-10-07, 12:38 PM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Weekly Activity 8%

I'm an OB person, but lots of ladies swear by the more personal touch of the midwife. I think the main difference is that a lot of midwives don't have an association with an anesthesiologist, so you may not be able to get an epidural.

Old 01-10-07, 12:54 PM
Banned

Thanked 5 Times
Weekly Activity 0%

Not much really. My OB was very old fashioned and everything was done by the book... her bedside manner was not that excellent, and being my first labor and delivery she was a total witch! She gave up on me and decided that she was doing a section in the middle of me pushing.... she refused to let me have an epidural til I was 4 cm... even though I was in horrid pain. The nurses kept me pushing and I delivered vaginally though

My midwives took a more easy approach, if I had concerns they listened, and when I wanted the epidural and such they gave it to me even though I wasn't 4 cm yet. Just a more natural, listen to my body type whereas my dr was all medical cases are the same.

Old 01-10-07, 06:25 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 170 Times
Weekly Activity 1.33%

there is a lot less "medical intervention" with a midwife.

Old 01-10-07, 10:05 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Weekly Activity 41.33%

This probably goes without saying but a midwife isn't a doctor while an ob is....
I would say a doctor/ob will give you a more "medical" experience while a midwife would probably be more apt to go along with what you want for your birth and help guide you though it. I've heard of midwives working right up in the hospital too though-- and I think they discourage epidurals but you could probably still get one in certain situations.
Around here, there really aren't any midwives so I don't have any personal experience. Good luck with your choice!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools