Baby Corner

Old 07-30-08, 10:34 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 58.11%
Default Oh Tracey...

Nosey Nora over here (aka... ME) needs an update on the young man you are fostering. Where are you in the process? When do you think you'll become his permanent foster carers? How is he doing? What is the biggest stride you've noticed since he started coming to visit with you? I know this is technically the ttc board, but an Inquiring Mind wants to get to know you and the important people in your life!

Old 07-30-08, 10:43 PM
is all about the PINK!!!
Proud American Teacher!!

Thanked 652 Times
Weekly Activity 11.25%

And while Jeanne is asking you personal questions, I was wondering something as well...

How does the British health care system handle TTC and the bumps in the road you have faced? Does it give you many options?

Don't answer if it's too personal... I was just trying to put together a better picture of all you have done in your TTC journey.

Old 07-31-08, 04:47 AM
is loving being a Mum to a miracle
British Community Leaders

Thanked 283 Times
Weekly Activity 20.62%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnanny

And while Jeanne is asking you personal questions, I was wondering something as well...

How does the British health care system handle TTC and the bumps in the road you have faced? Does it give you many options?

Don't answer if it's too personal... I was just trying to put together a better picture of all you have done in your TTC journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTeach333

Nosey Nora over here (aka... ME) needs an update on the young man you are fostering. Where are you in the process? When do you think you'll become his permanent foster carers? How is he doing? What is the biggest stride you've noticed since he started coming to visit with you? I know this is technically the ttc board, but an Inquiring Mind wants to get to know you and the important people in your life!
Well, firstly to 'Nosey Nora"...

Although we are J's respite foster carers, and have been all through the approvals process (just like you would for adoption), we have been approved by Children's Services, and when J comes to live with us full time it will be when he's 18 and so we have to be approved by Adult Services, so at the moment we're going through the Adult Placement approvals process.

The biggest stride for us has been developing an overwhelming amount of love for J, and reaffirming our love for children. J is a awesome young man, and he brings out the best in us.

The biggest stride for J has been him becoming so confident with us, and developing lots of new skills. His family don't have as much time as we do, as they have other children. But when J comes, it's just J and us, and so learning has become an every day part of his time with us.

Has that helped? Are you considering anything similar Jeanne?

Now on to the "Next Nosey Nora"...

Our NHS (National Health Service), is pretty good really, it's slow and basic, but it's done us ok. In terms of our area and what they cover in terms of fertility treatment it's covered everything, and that amounts to...
All our blood tests, loads of TSV scans and normal scans, an HSG, several doses of antibiotics (to improve our SA results), a full investigative Laparoscopy, 2 IUI's with meds (it would have covered 3 IUI's but we stopped after 2 because of our dna fragmentation results) and it will pay for 2 cycles of IVF.

We have paid about 250 for the sperm preps (about $500), and we also paid privately for 2 SCSA tests (checking for sperm fragmentation) as they were not covered by the NHS at all. They cost 700 total (about $1400).

So all in all, it's very very good. It's how things are over here, and so it's what we know. Thanks to Susanne (babyhungry), we've been privileged to have been to the States 5 times, and I love America so much, I'd move there in an instant, but your health care system scares the cr@p outta me

I spoke to a friend from these boards after she had her cancer and was horrified to find that she had to pay $1,000's towards her treatment. It just isn't that way over here, unless you want to go private.

I hope that's answered your questions??

How are you both doing?

Old 07-31-08, 08:43 AM
is all about the PINK!!!
Proud American Teacher!!

Thanked 652 Times
Weekly Activity 11.25%

Thanks for letting us butt into your life a little bit!!!

I'm glad that your health care services covers so much of your treatment.

You're definately right -- some parts of the US health system are really scary. We have a tremendous number of citizens (plus all the illegals) without coverage. I have great coverage through my employer, but many have only basic coverage with no infertility help at all.

It sounds like J is one of the luckiest men in the world!!! You have such a big heart!

--And, I'm ok -- just chugging through the 2WW.

--And, one more question --- sorry if it comes out awkardly --- how is it that you are able to remain so positive about the whole TTC journey? You are so amazingly knowlegable and supportive!!

Old 07-31-08, 11:28 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Weekly Activity 58.11%

No... I just wanted to get to know you better. I know J is a big part of your life now-- and I want to get to know him. And I also know that foster parenting can be an extremely difficult yet rewarding process, and just want you to know we want to be a part of it. (I fostered 2 girls while pregnant with Josh and I grew up with foster children-- my mom did it for years).

Latest Articles
Am I Pregnant or is this PMS?
Sometimes it's hard to tell if you're pregnant, or if your period is just coming late this month. Use this guide to help you tell the difference.

The EEOC Updates the Pregnancy Discrimination Act
US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has revised it's guidelines protecting working pregnant women, and those who wish to become pregnant even more than before.

Cloth Diapers vs Disposables
Should you use cloth diapers, or disposable? Find out with our cloth vs disposable diaper buying guide, and get advice on how best to choose.

How Often Should Your Baby Poop?
Find out how often your baby should poop, how you can tell if your baby might be constipated, and what treatment options are available if your baby is constipated.

Baby Bottles: Which Ones Should You Choose?
When buying baby bottles, there is a vast array of choices for expectant Moms to choose from. Here are some considerations for making this important purchase.

May 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations farul!

Calculators & Tools