Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Too soon to be worried?

Reply Post New Topic

• raylynn 11-06-04 | 03:36 PM
  • Hi everyone,

I just joined this site. My husband and I have been married since Aug of 2003. I got off of the pill as soon as we got married. We both decided that if we got pregnant then great. If it happens, it happens. We weren't however timing it or anything like that. We probably had sex 2 or 3 times a week if that, sometimes even less.

We decided last month that we wanted to really start trying. So this month, we are having sex every day, sometimes twice a day. My periods are so irregular that I figure it is useless to try to figure out when I am ovulating. Sometimes I even have two periods in a month which I'm not sure if that means there is something wrong with me or not.

I am just really nervous because we haven't gotten pregnant and have been having unprotected sex now for a year and 3 months. I know we havent' been exactly "trying", but I just think it should have happened by now. I think that we should have hit the right day one of those times.

I have a doctor appointment in a couple of weeks for an annual, and will talk to her about all this, but in the meantime, I have been so nervous and upset. I know it's our first month of really trying but just the fact that we haven't gotten pregnant yet scares me, like maybe there's something wrong. I'm probably just getting upset over nothing.

What do you define as "trying"? I mean, I have read all over that couples who have been "trying" for a year with no success should get checked out. Well am I in that category? Have we been "trying" even though we haven't been timing it at all and only had sex 2 or 3 times a week if that in the past?

Sorry this is so long. Any comments would be appreciated!

Thanks so much and good luck to all those trying to conceive!
  • AmyM AmyM's Avatar 11-06-04 | 05:08 PM
  • If your periods are irregular and you sometimes have two in a month, you mostly likely have a problem with ovulation. You should definitely talk to your doc about this now. If you want to get pregnant you may need some help.

I am a firm believer that it is never too soon to get help. Others may have different opinions, but I don't like to waste time.

JMO.
  • Celia_M 11-06-04 | 07:59 PM

•  
    IA, if your periods are irregular and you've been off the pill and Dtd that regularly I would definitely talk to your doctor. IMO you have been "trying". I know taking that first step of talking to a doctor is really scarey and nerve wracking, but I hope you'll probably feel better once you have. I know I did.. It's more than understandable to be feeling upset at the moment.

and

• Tracey and Neil Tracey and Neil's Avatar 11-07-04 | 06:48 AM
  • First I wanted to

to our 'home'!!

Where I live being eligible to seek further advice was after you'd been having unprotected intercourse for over 12 months. Coupled with your irregular periods I think it makes you a perfect candidate to seek further advice. It does sound like you have hormonal problems, it doesn't necessarily mean that you have a problem ovulating, you can still ovulate and have very irregular periods. However it does make predicting your ovulation very difficult.

If you have a record of your cycle length over the past few months then take this to your appointment. You may want to warn you Hubby that you may both be required to be tested. A couples fertility is the sum of their fertilities, and for the sake of a semen analysis it's best to test you both at the outset. I've seen women here go through testing only to find months down the line that there was a slight problem with their partner too.

Wishing you lots of luck, and we're here every step of the way with you!
  • KellyAnn KellyAnn's Avatar 11-07-04 | 09:24 AM
  • Everyone here is very supportive and you will find a great deal of support. When we went to a doctor for the first time, I told her we had been actively trying for one year. When I then told her we had been having unprotected sex for over a year she said that counts as time trying because most people would have gotten pregnant. You might have ovulation issues because of irregular periods - I would talk to your doctor about it and just start initial testing so you feel better. Good Luck.

Kelly