Baby Corner

Old 09-28-11, 01:48 PM
is loving my new job!
Kaitlyn & Nicole's Mommy

Thanked 415 Times
Level: 5
Weekly Activity 1372.86%
Default Trying for a boy

So, of course we would be happy w/ whatever sex we have, but we would be ecsatic if we had a boy. I read that you should have sex close to ovulation since the boy sperm swim much faster then the girl sperm. I was thinking of buying an ovulation kit to pinpoint, but was wondering if you tried anything to increase your chances or is this all for our entertainment? lol

Old 09-28-11, 01:54 PM
is a Mommy of 4!
~Christina~

Thanked 219 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 8.57%

We WERE going to try for a boy... but the way dh is, we didn't take enough days off ever to ACTUALLY try for a boy! So we still don't know if it works or not

We might try for a boy next time though, we'll see

Thank you koala_kaper!
DanieH (09-28-11)

Old 09-28-11, 02:43 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 1008.57%

From what I read at the time, trying for one sex was basically trying not to get pregnant with the other and I was afraid that I wouldn't get pregnant at all if I did that. It took me 9 mo to get pregnant with Rachel and 3 mo with Leanna and I was an anxious basket case the whole time TTC so I wasn't about to do anything to make it harder.

I got lucky and I got the 2 girls that I wanted anyway.

I know that doesn't help you a bit though!
Thank you 2babygirls!
DanieH (09-28-11)

Old 09-28-11, 07:46 PM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Weekly Activity 8.57%

I wasn't trying for any particular gender, just to get pregnant as quickly as possible. I never had any luck with ovulation predictor kits, but I REALLY had good success using the fertility charting outlined in Toni Weschler's Taking Charge of Your Fertility. I got pregnant three times charting (one was a miscarriage), and the two kids I got are both boys. I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt when I ovulated, and both kids were conceived on the exact day of ovulation.

So if you use this method, you need to shoot to have sex every other day until the day your temperature goes, indicating ovulation. A caveat: a lot of people use Fertility Friend online for tracking. I used both a paper chart from the book (and the guidelines carefully outlined in the book) and FF. I found that FF was VASTLY inaccurate compared to my own paper tracking. The problem is the computer algorithm makes assumptions that don't take into account things like cervical fluid quality and cervical position.

Good luck! I know any gender is a blessing, but I am very happy with my two hooligans.

BTW, a comment on what Sharyn said - if you're trying for a girl, it's much more likely you won't get pregnant at all, as you're trying to time sex several days before ovulation, and you run the risk of the sperm not surviving long enough to get the egg. If you're trying for a boy using this method, and you get a good read on ovulation, you're likely to get the result you're looking for. There is a possibility, of course, that your husband just produces a disproportionate number of X sperm, in which case, you'll just get another girl!

Last edited by rudolphia; 09-28-11 at 07:49 PM.
2 Users Says Thank You
2babygirls (09-29-11), DanieH (09-28-11)

Old 09-28-11, 11:30 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Weekly Activity 44.29%

I've read up on this, and after talking to my RE, I don't believe it, and if it were true, Matthew should have been a girl, for sure.
IUI is timed to be as close to ovulation as possible. With the technological advances of ultrasound and bloodwork, they are able to tell pretty well when you're going to ovulate. If this were the case, then most IUI babies would be boys. I asked the RE and also the nurses if they got a lot more boys, and the laughed and said no. They actually said that they "thought" women on clomid got girls more often, but then the doctor thought that was funny when I repeated it to her-- said there was nothing to it.

Of course many people swear by it, but I tend to think that they will eventually discover that diet, body chemistry, and other things have more to do with it than timing of sex. JMO.

Good luck, though.
Thank you 3Princes!
DanieH (09-29-11)
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools