Baby Corner

Old 04-18-05, 12:18 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.57%
Question Where to Start?

Decided to start TTC and wanted to know recommended OPK's. Any suggestions? Is this the best way to get started to find ovulation time?

Thanks

Old 04-18-05, 12:40 PM
VIP Member

Location: Originally from PA. Now live in OK. Did, however, spend 5 yrs in HK.
Thanked 129 Times
Weekly Activity 0.57%

I've no experience with OPKs, but I know a lot of women swear by them. Another method you might look into is charting. Check out FertilityFriend.com for more info on that. Hopefully some of the other girls here will have some more helpful advice for you on OPKs. If you do decide you want to try OPKs there's a lady here at TBC who sells them for really cheap over on the Buy/Sell board. You can click the Swap/Shop link in my sig, and then find the thread by Moy.

Old 04-18-05, 06:03 PM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Weekly Activity 3.43%

I've used ClearBlue Easy OPKs and had good luck with them. I highly recommend that you get a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Tony Weschler. I was going nuts using just OPKs without charting, and I missed my ovulation a couple of times because I thought I couldn't ovulate past day 14. I was wrong, and this book will explain how to read the signals your body is giving you so you always know when you can conceive. I use the OPKs in conjunction with charting, and it's so much more clear what's going on. Good luck to you!!!

Old 04-18-05, 08:47 PM
Mom to Eli and Owen

Thanked 55 Times
Weekly Activity 0.57%

well said. I highly recommend the book in conjunction with OPKs. Charting was great to me.

Old 04-19-05, 12:53 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.57%

I agree - that book is the TTC Bible. You'll spend a fortune on OPKs if you don't already have a good idea when you ovulate. I'd say only use them if you have charted for a couple of months, got an idea of how your cycles go, and you're not pg within a couple of months.

I only used OPKs when I was doing IUIs. I used the Clear Blue ones because the clinic said they were the best. They don't come cheap though. Charting is a lot less frustrating because you're not spending all that money each month and it gives a much clearer picture of what your body is actually doing. Oh and it saved me doing HPTs - I knew that if my temp was on its way down AF was on her evil way. The month I got pg, I knew it was time to take the test because my temps were up. I found temping really useful.

Good luck to you in your TTC!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
July 2018 Winner
Congratulations Willow!

Calculators & Tools