Baby Corner

Old 10-27-06, 04:18 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Question Worried about work

DH and I want to start TTC at the beginning of the year. DD is 4 so I am really excited about having a new baby in the house. The problem is that I have been searching for a new job for the past 2 months with no luck. I either have to find a new job in the next few months in order to qualify for FMLA (if everything goes according to plan) or I have to stay at the job I am currently in.

There are pros and cons to both. For example I have been with my company for over 6 years and I would have the flexibility that I need during and after being PG but there are some things at my job that I find very frustrating including my salary.

My question is, have any of you changed jobs while you were PG or shortly before and what challenges did you face when you did?

Old 10-27-06, 04:51 PM
is in love with the new man in her life!
VIP Member

Thanked 179 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

The biggest challenge might be your insurance! At my old job, you had to be on the insurance a year before you qualified for maternity insurance. Also, if you are already pg, it may not be covered because of being a "pre existing condistion". It will be very hard to find someone who will hire you pg too. Even though discrimination for that reason is against the law, they can always find "someone better qualified" to keep from hiring you.

Old 10-29-06, 11:00 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

If I get pg then I will definitely stay put for all of the reasons that you mentioned. One of my friends changed jobs when she was pg so she was not eligible for the full 12 weeks of leave or short term disability. When I had DD I was out of work for 12 weeks w/o pay, even though we survived I don't want to go through that again.

I am just frustrated because I don't want to put TTC on hold while I get another job but I am very tired of the company that I am with. I guess I shouldn't complain, things could always be worse.

Old 11-01-06, 05:24 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 170 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

good luck. i worked for family when i got pregnant so ire ally didn't have to deal with many problems
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools