Month by Month Baby Calendar
Learn what to expect during your baby's first years with our month by month baby calendar. Choose your baby's age below to see how your baby is developing.

1 Week
20 Months
21 Months
22 Months
23 Months
24 Months

Baby Photo Contest
Enter your baby into Baby Corner's free baby photo contest for a chance to win Fisher-Price Laugh & Learn Learning Puppy!!

Baby Photo Contest Home
Upload & Manage Your Photos
See Past Winners!

You are here: Home > Baby > Q&A: I'm having trouble getting my nine month old to sleep at night--she wakes up often to eat. > Comments

Q&A: I'm having trouble getting my nine month old to sleep at night--she wakes up often to eat. Comments & Discussion

Read the full article at Q&A: I'm having trouble getting my nine month old to sleep at night--she wakes up often to eat.

Guest Sep 17, 2016 12:07:01 AM ET

Hi, i'm a grandfather and i have no idea what to do. i did so much better with my 3 children when i was home. i was in the military and deployed all over the world. i had a firmer hand back then, not to say that i hit them because i didn't. my wife would have killed me. my granddaughter has my number, and to make matters worse she calls me da da, that's when i melt right in front of her. the way she cries kills me, it sounds like she's going to throw up and sometimes she does. i'm desperate and at the end of my rope. any ideas? mike

Rozlyn Aug 20, 2011 07:20:23 AM ET

Hi my baby girl is just over 12mths old n hasnt slept through the nite since she was born what she does is cries while she is asleep i have tried just giving her dummie bk nothing i have tried rocking her in my arms, tried just patting her on the back but nothing the only thing that i have found that works is giving her a bottle n she takes 2 sips then she is bk to sleep again then 1hr lately awake again n this goes on till 5am n thats a good nite a bad is when she wakes every 10-30 mins please help me

jan Jul 19, 2011 09:03:10 PM ET

My granddaughter is 10 months old and has never slept thur the night.she only eats about 4 oz of formula but every 2 to 3 hrs. she was under wt. for awhile but she has caught up some. she is being given table and baby food. i don't see her eating that much. i suggested adding rice cereal to her first bottle of the night and increase the size of the bottle. any suggestions

lesie Jan 31, 2011 01:15:21 AM ET

I'm a baby nurse for twins at night. with my 12yrs experience of being a night nurse for training babies to sleep, is that you must start training them to take less feed as long as they are over 7lbs. the earlier you wean babies off of getting up for bottles every 3hrs, the better it is for parents. i did it to all my twin babies, and parents are very happy with the results. babies end up sleeping through the night when you stop giving then the formula every three hrs. when the fuss i give them the pacifier and they go back to sleep, they fuss a bit, but when you keep on doing it they will get accustom and will not wake up until the time you set for them to have a bottle. this takes patience and consistency for it to work, you will love the results. the key idea is to start them from six weeks, make sure that their weight is good, and get started as early as you can. good luck to all, some people might think this is too harsh, but this method is only for those who are willing to go through with the process.

annabelle Nov 20, 2010 10:52:45 AM ET

My 14 month old boy that wakes up over 5 times a night for a bottle feed how can i get him to stop doing this me and my partner are really over tired at dis stage has anyone else any suggestions on how to get him sleep threw please thank you...

Francesca Balloch Jul 31, 2010 08:37:18 AM ET

My 8 and a half month old baby boy joshua has been waking up through the night for months now, even when we got passed the feeding through the night stage he seems to only want held when he wakes up screaming and the longer you leave him crying the worse it gets, he only just awakens more and its more difficult to get him to settle. he went from sleeping through 10 hours straight at 2 months to being a constant waker at 3 months...tried everything, hubby and i are like zombies and worse still i go back to work in 7 weeks...need this sorted before then!! any help??

mary ann Jul 30, 2010 04:09:47 PM ET

My daughter is 9 months old. she will not fall asleep in her crib, she will not fall asleep by her self. she will not fall asleep until me and my husband go to bed. she will not sleep unless she is between us and all the lights are off, even then she fights it the whole time. when she finally falls asleep i lay her in the crib, but she will only sleep in there for two hours and then she cries and she wants her bottle. i just want her to sleep during the night and to sleep in the crib all by herself without having to fall asleep in bed with us!

Michelle Jun 9, 2010 04:13:47 PM ET

Why would you let your child cry? i am not talking about letting them fuss for 5 minutes or so, but a full fledged crying episode needs to be met with immediate comfort to your child.

Tamara Feb 17, 2010 02:36:00 PM ET

Hello, i have tried the night weaning with my 9 month old for 10 days but it didn't work. the poor thing would cry for 3 hours and more! it was heart aching... after 10 consecutive night of endless crying, i was advised by friends that she might not be ready yet to give up the night feed. but now she's eating once in the middle of the night and another time in the early morning (before that she used to eat every couple of hours). also in regards to sleep training; i have tried the cry-it out method, but she also kept crying for more than an hour... how much time should i let her cry? please help!

Brianna Jan 3, 2010 01:46:44 PM ET

I have a nine month old who wakes up at least four times a night and eats eight ounces of formula three out of those four times. i try to let him cry it out but it is so hard. i havent really stuck with it yet but now that i know it can cause cavities i feel i have too.

1 2 Next >>

Go back to Q&A: I'm having trouble getting my nine month old to sleep at night--she wakes up often to eat.