Month by Month Baby Calendar
Learn what to expect during your baby's first years with our month by month baby calendar. Choose your baby's age below to see how your baby is developing.
1 Week
19 Months
20 Months
21 Months
22 Months
23 Months
24 Months

Photo Contest - WIN $50!!
Enter your baby into Baby Corner's free baby photo contest for a chance to win $50!! CASH!!

Baby Photo Contest Home
Upload & Manage Your Photos
See Past Winners!

Stay Connected!

Facebook

Twitter

RSS

You are here: Home > Toddlers > Correcting Toddler Behavior - Biting, Hitting, & Throwing > Comments

Correcting Toddler Behavior - Biting, Hitting, & Throwing Comments & Discussion | Page 2

Read the full article at Correcting Toddler Behavior - Biting, Hitting, & Throwing

megan Jan 24, 2015 07:09:24 PM ET

My daughter turned 2 in december when she was about 11/2. she started what you might call the terrible 2s. she hits and cries non stop about 85% of her day. she cries because she's not getting her way. she kicks, screams, eats anything except food, she won't sit at the table nor a high chair, she throws her food everywhere. her favorite word is no, and when we try to correct her she turns right around and keeps on doing it. punishment is no concern to her. i have a 7 year old son, a 4 year old step daughter, and a almost 2 year old step daughter, and none of them has ever acted like my 2 year old daughter. i figured starting this at 11/2, and now being a little over 2 she would grow out of some of this, but it seems like it just gets worse. she loves to punch and poke other kids and her other favorite saying is, "stop being mean mommy," or "stop being mean daddy." i have no clue what to do. please help.

Guest Mar 12, 2015 05:54:28 PM ET

I would suggest asking your doctor for a referral to a pediatrician. "terrible twos" are normal, but crying and hitting for 85% of the day is not typical. eating anything except food isn't typical for this age either. it's definitely worth pursuing further investigation. i work at a child development center and we encourage families to seek the advise of a developmental pediatrician. seek out someone who will take the time to observe your child and really listen to your concerns. good luck

stephanie Nov 12, 2014 10:14:32 AM ET

My son will be 2 in march, and he is very aggressive. he will hit you over and over again no matter what you do. i have to end up putting him in his room. if he doesn't get his way or gets really mad he will throw things. not little things. he will pick up the car that he can ride on and throw it down the hallway, or try his hardest to pick up the coffee table to flip it over. he started daycare about 3 weeks ago. they say he does great. he is nice and they really have no problems out of him. but, the moment he walks in the house the storm continues. he is especially really mean to me. i'm the only person he has bitten (breaking the skin). i know this sounds really bad but sometimes i wish he could stay at daycare for just a little longer. is this wrong of me, and what can i do to help fix his aggression?

Guest Nov 10, 2014 06:31:20 PM ET

This is all like 3 year old son's behavior. i feel like he is controlling me. i can't control him at home or in public. he is always angry, and does not listen to me. i am very sad about that.

Guest Oct 26, 2014 02:33:46 PM ET

My boyfriend's daughter screams and screams anytime we talk to her. she breaks my kids toys and hits them. i bought her a really cute toddler bed and she broke it within a week. she is going to be 4 in december. when i'm asking her to use her words, she will scream and cry when she finally talks. she asks to go to the corner, or in her room, but that's where she wants to be all day long. i'll tell her it's meal time, and she won't come. if i make her, she screams the whole time, but will go. daycare says she's hungry and we don't feed her! she has started beating up on all the babies in daycare! what can we do?? i'm lost!!!! please help.

Guest Oct 29, 2014 04:06:16 PM ET

Have you tried not living like separate families?

Jane Nov 4, 2014 02:34:23 PM ET

I'm not sure about your take on therapy, but a few sessions with a child counselor could probably do some good. it sounds as if she has underlying hurt feelings that are being expressed through anger. see how she acts towards you when you tell her to do something vs. your boyfriend. does she listen to one of you better? if so, that one should be the one to ask her to do something until you can figure out the true issue. toddlers need to feel that they are in control, most likely she feels like she has lost that control. also try to face the fact you might be in that "you're not my mommy" phase. just keep giving her love and understanding, and she will come around. the fact that you're on this site already means your doing the best you can and you're a great parent. keep it up and good luck!

michelle Nov 4, 2014 02:39:37 PM ET

No matter how much she screams or yells keep your voice low. don't let her see that her attitude bothers you. let her know that life keeps moving on even when she wants to have hours of tantrums. she is screaming and won't come eat? you, your child, and boyfriend need to close her door and go have a peaceful meal despite her screaming. she will soon realize it is easier to be loved then to always be angry. this worked with both of my children. you need to let her know her attitude is not okay, and will not be tolerated, not my punishment, but by making her see that tantrums can't make the world revolve around her. eventually she will get bored i promise! good luck girl.

Guest Oct 14, 2014 10:58:18 PM ET

I have a two year old. my son acts rude most times lately. i don't really know why. he kicks me, and thinks its funny. he slaps me with a sneaky look on his face. then when i try to discipline him, he gets angry and hits his head on the wall, or throws himself on the floor and smacks his head hard on the ground. i don't know what it is. might he be emotionally distressed? what might i be doing wrong? are emotional problems hereditary? or maybe he has anger issues? this is ongoing, do you think it will pass or should i dig deeper? any information would help. thanks!

Audrey Oct 18, 2014 04:22:54 PM ET

He might be testing your limits, and chances are, he's going to grow out of it. make sure you don't argue with your spouse in front of him (my son used to hit his head on the ground if we start arguing). when he gets upset and starts hurting himself just hold his wrists and don't let go until he calms down. i would also suggest playing emotion games with him. it'll help him to better express himself. i wouldn't look too deeply into though. he sounds like a normal 2 year old.

mrs. kiser Sep 12, 2014 06:35:33 PM ET

My nephew is 2 years old and likes to pinch and hit. it is completely random and he does not act angry. he will just laugh when he does it. we tell him that hitting is mean, and he is hurting auntie. but, he does not listen. we try time outs and everything. his mommy and daddy argue a lot. i don't know if that could be a reason.

Jane Nov 4, 2014 02:27:29 PM ET

My son is now 3. at 13 months he began doing the same thing, pinching hitting etc. make sure to show him that it really does hurt you. when my son would pinch me i wouldn't gently cry in front of him so he knows he is making mom or in your case a family member sad. although kids act out they still do aim to please.

NadiBum1175 Aug 26, 2014 01:55:49 PM ET

I have a brother who is 2, and he's driving me insane. i love him a lot, but he throws things at me and scratches me in my face. he wont hug me, but hug the rest of the family. i don't know what i've done wrong, but i wish that he would be a lovable little bro. he only hugs me and says sorry when i "cry". lol

Guest Jun 14, 2014 08:56:46 PM ET

My grandson, 13 months old, is acting out by hitting my chihuahua when i give her attention while he's around. i do believe it to be jealousy. what can i do to make him more accepting of her?! all she tries to do is love on him and lick him. thanks!

Guest Jun 18, 2014 07:50:21 AM ET

Try having him take care of her with you. brush her together, have him give treats, etc. it worked when for my son and pups when both were dealing with jealousy.

Guest Mar 28, 2014 08:26:34 PM ET

I think this article is a crock of shit. you're telling me if he throws his food then give him the option to go outside and play catch. isn't that all they wanna do anyways. this will just teach them to throw their food at every meal so they can go upside and play. and how can you tell a two year old "don't hit." you can get angry but you can't hit? this is crazy. what two year old will understand this. if this is the way we are supposed to raise our children then i'm afraid of the future. just imagine my son's generation or even the next. our country will be protected by people who don't believe in consequences. just imagine a drill sergent in boot camp yelling at a recruit and the recruit crying saying, "you can't yell at me." our country will certainly be taken over by a country who actually disciplines there children and there won't be anything we can do about it but cry.

bre Jul 17, 2014 02:39:41 AM ET

Rude and wrong all at the same time! not sure what your kids are like, but most two year olds i know can understand when you say, "do not hit me." they're toddlers, not idiots. and how does discussing toddler behavior turn into a "that's what's wrong with our country" rant?

Jane Nov 4, 2014 02:47:27 PM ET

Come on people were parents. it takes a village to raise a child. i'm not sure how your comment got posted with curse words, but it is not necessary everyone is allowed there opinion. let's all act like the good, mature parents we are.

Guest Oct 18, 2013 02:54:56 AM ET

I babysit my 3 year old niece now i have my 1 and half years old niece and 6 month old niece living with me. my 3 year old niece has never shared our attention an now she's hitting biting and mean. we have not changed how we treat her yet nothing is working. she's mean and tries to hurt the other girls. we've tried everything to reassure her shes still special yet she's gotten even worse. we don't know what to do she has really hurt the other girls where we wont leave them alone. we're scared she will seriously hurt one of them.

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next >>