Mommy Picks: Best Books for Babies and Toddlersby Dianna Graveman | June 25, 2012
Toys and trendy playthings come and go, but one childhood favorite never goes out of style: books. True, today's parents and their offspring have the option of reading traditional print books or ebooks with a Kindle, Nook, or other electronic device. Ebooks cost less than print books, but a loan from the library costs even less (provided you return the books on time!). But books are books, in whatever form, and young children everywhere still love a good story.
Below are some Mommy Picks for best books for babies and toddlers, including some recently published editions and some oldies but goodies that have been around forever.
1. Good Night Moon, by Margaret Wise Brown
2. Dr Seuss's ABC
3. Pat the Bunny, by Dorothy Kunhardt
4. Frog and Toad series, by Arnold Lobel
5. The Little Pookie series, by Sandra Boynton
6. We're Going on a Bear Hunt, by Michael Rosen and Helen Oxenbury ("Repetitive, adventurous, suspenseful and exciting," says one mother. "I read it to my kids every day, and it's great for a large age range. My kids read some of the pages now, and I love that.")
7. Elijah Jeremiah Phillips's Great Journey, by Paul B Ricchiuti ("It was a favorite when I was growing up," says the mom who recommends it, "and I recently found a copy for my kids.")
8. All of Baby Noes to Toes, by Victoria Adler and Hiroe Nakata
9. Llama Llama Red Pajama, by Anna Dewdney
10. 1, 2, 3 to the Zoo, by Eric Carle
11. God Gave Us You, by Lisa Tawn Bergren and Laura J. Bryant
12. Gossie and Gertie, by Olivier Dunrea
13. But Not The Hippopotamus, by Sandra Boynton
14. I Love You Stinky Face, by Lisa McCourt and Cyd Moore
15. Guess How Much I Love You, by Sam McBratney and Anita Jeram
16. Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?, by Dr. Seuss ("Young children love the use onomatopoeia—words that imitate sounds.")
17. The Very Hungry Caterpillar, by Eric Carle
18. The Rhyme Bible Storybook, by Linda Sattgast
19. Kitten's First Full Moon, by Kevin Henkes. ("The black and white illustrations really catch a child's eyes because they are high contrast," according to a book-loving mom. "Plus it's just a cute story.")
20. Time for Bed, by Mem Fox and Jane Dyer ("We read this book every night, and my husband makes the animal noises," says a mom. "It's one of my favorite moments of every day!")
21. On the Night You Were Born, by Nancy Tillman
22. Lost in the Woods, by Jean Stoick and Carl R., II Sams ("Beautiful use of photos to tell a heart-warming story.")
23. Over There, by LCSW-C Dorinda Silver Williams ("My son absolutely loves this book," says one mom. "We only read it during deployment times, but when we do read it together, he won't let me put it away. He now sleeps with that book.")
Over There is a children's board book created by Zero to Three. It is available in both Mommy and Daddy versions, depending on which parent is deployed. A free companion activity book can also be downloaded at Zero to Three (zerotothree.org). Parents and Caregivers are invited to create their own Over There children's book: "Download the attached PDF (either the mommy version or the daddy version, depending on which parent is deployed), print it out, and attach photos that represent the spirit of the text. If you and your child are feeling extra creative, you can even draw your own illustrations. Do whatever feels right to capture your family's unique deployment story. After completing the book, keep it on hand and read it to your child as often as each of you would like."
What's tops on Amazon? Recent bestsellers on Amazon for toddlers include The Hiccupotamus, by Aaron Zenz (Kindle edition), There Was an Old Monkey Who Swallowed a Frog, by Jennifer Ward and Steve Gray (Kindle edition), and Oh, the Places You'll Go!, by Dr. Seuss (hard cover).
With so many choices, there's nothing to stop you! Enjoy a good book with your child today.
From around the web
Be the first to add your comment, or ask a question.
You are commenting as Guest.
Please register or login if you would like to be notified by email of replies to your comment.