Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

My Doctor Says I'm Suffering from Ptyalism? Comments & Discussion | Page 2

Read the full article at My Doctor Says I'm Suffering from Ptyalism?

Lydia W. Nov 11, 2017 09:09:25 PM ET

I can't stop spitting. gum, lemons, crackers,water...nothing works. 8 weeks and spitting consumes my whole day.

Kiki Oct 17, 2017 07:58:10 AM ET

Coffee underneath the tongue helps. nibbling on raw ginger, eating garden eggs, frozen lemon and lime slices and also ice cubes

Guest Oct 8, 2017 12:16:30 AM ET

Hey everyone. i have this spitting disorder. i'd be fine but, as soon as my 6 week kicks in, that's when all hell breaks loose. i spit the entire time until a week after i give birth. it happened with all of my pregnancies. that's the only part i hate about being pregnant.

Guest Sep 8, 2017 04:42:29 AM ET

Hi. i also suffered from ptyalism. i hated the spit cups, just uugh! tried two different anti nausea medications, no good. when i was sleeping i did the towel on the pillow, or the washcloth in the mouth thing (better!) and i just kept a bucket next to the bed to drop the wet washcloth in during the night, and i would continually replace it with a dry one. so what i ended up doing during the day was this: started off with a ton of washcloths and i cut them into 1"x4" strips. i would leave the house with two ziplock bags, one full of the clean strips and one empty. i would place a strip under my tongue for 10-15 minutes, put it in the empty bag, and start with a new strip. basically i kept this up all day at work. i could talk, it was kind of weird, but not as weird as carrying around a cup. also, it really kept me from accidentally swallowing, and i could kind of get away from the saliva taste. around 4 months in i started drinking 1 cup of coffee every morning, (it seemed to help with digestion) and overall it was bearable by 5.5 months. the nausea was gone the day after delivery. maybe helpful? the hardest thing was that no one had really heard of this and i think people thought, well i'm not sure what they thought, mostly they just asked if i had tried saltines.

deneme Jun 8, 2017 01:32:32 PM ET

I have suffered this pytalism sendrome together with a thick phlegm back on my throat. i was not able to drink water because it disgusted me, i was vomiting 7-8 times a day and feeling horrible. i also read alot of forums and lost hope that this can go away. but it did go away. (15th week) below are the things i tried 1- i ensured that my nose is open, and i can breathe from my nose using neti pot. 2- i quit drinking fruit juice, and started to drink water with cucumber in it. every 500-600ml , i sliced some cucumber in it and drank the water. i increased my water intake to almost 2litres/day. 3- i ate roasted almonds 4- i ate alot of cucumber. in 4 days my symptoms just gone. i am not sure whether its gone because of what i did, or because of the hormones but now i feel ok. so do not lose hope, it can go away.

Guest May 22, 2017 03:41:43 AM ET

I am 33 weeks and still having this problem. i've tried so many remedies but nothing works. who ever comes up with a cure will be a miracle worker!

Kelly Jan 27, 2017 03:29:15 AM ET

It's the worst. mine didn't stop untill a day after birth. i'm now 17 weeks and going through it again . nothing helps but eating and drinking.

Guest Dec 18, 2016 02:35:23 AM ET

I went through this in 1969. it was quite rare and my ob did a lot of medical journal reading to help me. i ended up dehydrated and hospitalized for iv fluids many times. sorry to say it lasted about a month after my healthy daughter was born. i lost 25 pounds.

Baby Durrell Apr 10, 2015 12:44:11 PM ET

I can't control this excessive spitting. i get nauseated whenever i swallow.

Baby Durrell Mar 31, 2015 12:45:42 PM ET

I can't control this excessive spitting. i get nauseated whenever i swallow.

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next >>

You are commenting as .

Go back to My Doctor Says I\'m Suffering from Ptyalism?

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You

"Hello!"
by codysartony in Meet & Greet!

"2ww symptoms"
by Jasminejosh1 in Ask a Question

"Baby"
by Myera1991 in Meet & Greet!

"Mom baby no2"
by princess2 in Meet & Greet!

"Hi"
by Kygirlbillie31 in Meet & Greet!

View More Topics or Ask a Question