You are here: Home - Pregnancy - My Doctor Says I\'m Suffering from Ptyalism? > Comments

My Doctor Says I\'m Suffering from Ptyalism? Comments & Discussion | Page 3

Read the full article at My Doctor Says I'm Suffering from Ptyalism?

Helen Mar 19, 2014 02:37:39 PM ET

Hi all. i had this all through first and second pregnancy and now with my third. i carry one of those reusable starbucks cups which you can subtly secrete into through the hole. people would occasionally ask about how much coffee i was drinking, but i would always say "ginger tea, terrible nausea!" this helped with being in public but clearly did not alleviate the symptoms. my recommendations are 1) throw up first thing to get rid of all the saliva you have swallowed during the night. it always made me feel better if i ate anything it would always come back up! 2) to minimize the mucus, cut out wheat and dairy. i now drink almond milk which creates a lot less mucus than normal milk. 3) explain to those friends closest to you. every time i have a normal cup of coffee people always joke, "are you pregnant again"?! 4) eat small meals every few hours. almonds are good for nausea. 5) drink lots of herbal teas. i find ginger, fennel, licorice and peppermint helps. 6) avoid sugary foods and fizzy drinks. i find that this causes the mucus in my throat to come up. 7) relax when being sick. this is my hardest tip as there have been many times when i have sobbed whilst being sick. but, i do find if you can try to breathe and think about letting your body expel what it needs to and just go with it, you stay calmer. 8) post birth, treat yourself to the most expensive new pillows and pillow cases you can afford and ceremoniously bin the old spit covered ones!!

Guest Jan 13, 2014 04:44:11 AM ET

I had it in my first pregnancy and garnicia kola (bitter kola) in my mouth 24/7 helped. i had it in my mouth but didn't have to chew on it but a little bite to taste the bitterness helped. i'm in my second pregnancy now and i'm getting me a bucket load of bitter kola. it is safe because my baby came out great. make sure you drink a lot of water to help hydrate you. and sleep with one in your mouth.

Tiffany Apr 28, 2014 12:15:15 AM ET

Hi, i’m 10 weeks pregnant with my third child. i had the spitting problem bad with my first child, and my second child it was not that bad. but, now its like i’m back at square one all over again. i’m so tired of cleaning out my spit bottle 2 to 3 times a day, because i hate to see it get filled up. it’s so nasty. i’m ashamed to even go out to places. it’s so bad that i have to bring a roll of paper towels in my bag, because i don’t want to bring my spit bottle out in public. it’s especially worse in the morning when i wake up for some reason. also i’m constantly vomiting. it’ so bad my doctor has me taking this med for nausea. anyway, i’ve found nothing to help it but to just to go with the flow. it’s horrible!!! i’m glad i’m not alone, but i will try the bitter kola. thanks.

LaMonica M. Dec 1, 2013 10:42:35 PM ET

I too suffer from ptyalism with my third pregnancy. i spit with my 1st, but only on occasion. my second was about the same as this pregnancy, constant spitting with a spit bottle, nausea, vomiting, dehydration, depression. it has gotten so bad, i have almost given up and opted for abortion (hoes against my beliefs completely). i'm just tired of suffering through this. i cry each day and pray as well. it makes my 5 year old daughter so upset to see me go through this, she cries. i can't even spend time with my family without spitting or nausea. i have tried everything and i'm at the end of my rope.

Tricia Jan 8, 2014 06:51:28 PM ET

Please hang in there. i too am facing the challenges of all day nausea and vomiting while constantly spitting in a cup. what helps me is to remember that i am not alone. many women go through this. and it is only for a season of life and will be over soon when the doctor places our beautiful babies in our arms. continue to pray. also reading the bible, especially the psalms, can be very encouraging. and on a practical note, i buy a pack of disposable coffee cups with lids and use them for spit cups. people think i am sipping coffee and i don't feel the need to explain my spitting problem. i pray that you feel better soon and are able to enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.

Guest Nov 16, 2013 08:35:37 AM ET

Hi thank god i found all of u fellow suffered in from kenya and i'm 15 weeks. i have spat so much since my 5th week it goes almost up to a liter a day (i have measured gross!!) but when it's your problem you do anything. anyway i'm so miserable and get dehydrated all the time it's worse after i have taken water or dairy products, starchy food and sugar, salty foods like peanuts roasted with salt try to help but not for when 10 mins. i have tried anything and everything but i'm always back to zero, lets just pray for each other and look at the prize ahead, the baby. i'm sorry ladies its hell, embarrassing especially people getting grossed when they see you spit because i'm not showing yet so you can't start explaining. chao.

Caroline NYC Sep 29, 2013 04:25:11 PM ET

I started spitting at seven weeks...it was torturous and embarassing..i am so happy to day it just stopped at 22 weeks...it has been three days and i have never been happier in my life..it was horrible...now that's its over it still was horrible! you will get thru it bough!! i did!! suafed helped it to ease up a bit, but check with ur md

Ann Feb 21, 2013 03:33:45 PM ET

I am from holland and have the same condition. now i am almost 17 weeks and it only gets worse. i was in the hospital for being dehydrated. it drives me crazy!

Mummy Dec 7, 2012 07:40:46 AM ET

I go through this too i must say its very uncomfortable...

Stephanie Oct 29, 2012 07:27:22 PM ET

Hello dear friends, i am 7 weeks tomorrow. i too, suffer from this maddening pregnancy symptom. i have not tried the bitter kola yet but will give it a shot if i find some. dh just got ome from the store with salty sunflower seeds. he read mewhere that it may help what we have. i empathize with all of you and hope you all find a cure and have healhy babies. ~ peace & prayers everyone!

nadine Oct 12, 2012 05:02:38 PM ET

Am also going through this, i would like to know if i can get bitter kola here in england...please help.

Christine Oct 2, 2012 05:44:53 PM ET

I am 10 weeks preg. and this is not my first pregnancy, but this saliva build up is driving me nuts. i see that no one really has a safe/sure cure for it so i pray that it ends by my 3rd or 4th month. good luck to everyone on this irritating symptom.

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next >>

Go back to My Doctor Says I\'m Suffering from Ptyalism?