You are here: Home - Pregnancy - My Doctor Says I\'m Suffering from Ptyalism? > Comments

My Doctor Says I\'m Suffering from Ptyalism? Comments & Discussion | Page 5

Read the full article at My Doctor Says I'm Suffering from Ptyalism?

cleo May 23, 2012 05:02:45 AM ET

Am 20weeks pregnant.i have cattarrh and cough which makes me really uncomfortable. can i take bitter kola? is it safe for my baby?

Zeinab Jan 14, 2012 04:00:43 AM ET

Well, i had this terrible experience during my first pregnancy. i could only have a few number of fried shrimps and ripe grape juice. salty crackers were a real temporary solution.i recommend a teaspoon of ripe grape juice every day. it helps a lot. good luck mums!

mamma mamma Dec 15, 2011 05:31:15 PM ET

Andrea, ma i saw your comment about suction.can u please tell where to get and what kind of suction u are talking about? thanks

Joseph Dec 13, 2011 10:50:52 PM ET

I was reading the forum.... its good to see people talking about ptyalism. but a word of caution...be carefule with what you try to cure it with. for indeed the cure can be potentially much worse than the disease. for example, i was reading on the forum, someone wanting to try pulsatilla. but after reading about it, this would be a terrible idea for a pregnant woman.

Vendi Dec 8, 2011 11:52:49 PM ET

Hi everyone, i am adding my notes to this topic since it is hard to find people who know what we are going through. i am currently 11 weeks pregnant with #3 and suffering from the excessive saliva and constant nausea since 6.5 weeks. with baby #2 i had it from 6-16 weeks. with #1 i don't remember the spit but lots of nausea. i sleep with cloth diapers under my head and sometimes i soak through 2 a night. i carry a small plastic container with a lid and paper towels folded inside so i don't see the saliva (because that grosses me out). just like the rest of you if i swallow i will puke (and who can even think of swallowing!). in the morning i dry vomit if i don't eat something right away and sometimes saliva comes out (buildup from the night?). nothing helps and i only feel relief when i am eating but a few minutes after the spitting returns. i have tried some homeopathy...kreosotum didn't work and ipecac too, but i am going to try the pulsatilla because that seems to be better for the saliva....the nausea seems to come because of the saliva so i figure it is better to focus on the saliva. i will let you all know how it goes. i read somewhere that dairy makes it worse for some so some of you may want to try eliminating it (it didn't work for me). i want to try acupuncture and see if that helps. hang in there everyone!

Hazel Dec 8, 2011 04:07:08 PM ET

I am 22 weeks this is my 2nd child and first time spittimg this is horrible, i have tried reglan and nothing helps. i probably go through about 10 spit cups a day. i just dont understand this.

andrea Nov 30, 2011 10:12:23 PM ET

I strated spitting in month three of my pregnancy. it got so bad that i ended up having to buy a suction and use it every day until i delivered. i was also hospitalized for severe dehydration. my baby is now almost three months and i still have it it is a lot less but i still do can anyone respond to this that has been going through it.

kemi Nov 25, 2011 10:09:13 PM ET

I think ptyalism is d worst symptom of pregnancy and mucusy stuff in the throat.its so bad that sometimes i will be crying.i'm 15weeks&stil having excess of dem.i can't bear having dem throughout my pregnancy.though gum and bitter kola have been very helpful.gdluck 2 us all

Karen Aug 23, 2011 02:58:03 AM ET

Wow!! this is the first forum i have seen on ptyalism after looking all throughout both my pregnancys for answers to this horrible pregnancy symptom. i had excess saliva for the whole 9 months of my first pregnancy. disappeared as soon as i gave birth. i've just had my second and although a little lesser, i am waiting for the saliva to disappear now 5 days after delivery. i've had 2 girls and suffered equally with this in each pregnancy. and as i have read on here, nobody understands unless they have lived with this. absolutely debilitating to social and work life. i have a twin sister and we both suffered through pregnancy with this. i think i wont have a 3rd, i suffered so bad with this. amazing just to have stumbled upon this thread and hang in there to all you tough mummys to be coping with this!

Rena Jun 3, 2011 09:31:58 AM ET

Hi .. everyone. well welcome to the land of spits , yes i spit with all 3 of my children and hated it , i was depressed all the time and couldn't enjoy being pregnant because of it. my spits lasted the whole 9 months.when it does it stop you ask ? well i have learned its different with each pregnancy. after my first it last 2 weeks weeks and stopped .. after baby 2 it last 3 weeks stopped n came back occasionally til my baby was 5 months old .. now i just had my last one and he's almost 3 months and im still spitting and have never stopped .. wish me luck i dont know what to do. and the sex of the baby doesnt matter i have 2 boys and 1 girl and spit with all of them .

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next >>

Go back to My Doctor Says I\'m Suffering from Ptyalism?