Dad to Dad

You are here: Home > Dads > Couvade Syndrome (Sympathy Pains) > Comments

Couvade Syndrome (Sympathy Pains) Comments & Discussion | Page 4

Read the full article at Couvade Syndrome (Sympathy Pains)

tim Nov 9, 2009 07:06:22 PM ET

This is our second child. our first child i was fine. but now here are my symptoms: lose of appetite, i throw up, cough alot, bad sleep, nothing tastes good, head ache, sinus ache, body is sore, nausea... and yes i am the guy. due date is may... i cant wait...lol

Ieisha Sep 23, 2009 05:15:01 AM ET

When me and my husband found out that i was pregnant he started to gain weight, going to the bathroom more often, eating and throwing up

Dbaby Aug 7, 2009 07:34:22 PM ET

Hi! my babys father is suffering from this weird couvade thing. his symtoms are only weight gain and excessive eating though.....me i lost my weight during pregnancy and i barely eat like i have no appetite....

john May 3, 2009 06:52:25 AM ET

I am an expecting dad and for some reason when my wife dosent eat or holds her pee i start to get stomach cramps really bad. and when she hasent had any sleep during the day i am the one that feels it while im at work. is all this normal or is it just in my head?

Kiara Mar 14, 2009 10:52:46 PM ET

The father of my child are experiencing some of theses couvade symptoms. but the one he has been experiencing since i found out i was pregnant is an out of this world toothache and sine i entered the 2nd trimester he has been vomiting and rarley eating

mike Jan 2, 2009 04:27:59 PM ET

Can you help me find more information about this syndrome? please contact if any one can helpme out

Shawn S Jan 2, 2009 04:23:45 PM ET

Katie, first, sympathy is never defined as imitative but the ability to share feelings of another person. it is very clear that you are educated but tend to take a feminist outlook on the world. i do agree that this world was based on a patriarchical society with religion as a focal point but your argument is not constructed well at all. you first go from word definition to discrimination to feminism and finally while males will never feel for a woman. the whole process of this syndrome is to show that "men" have feelings too and enjoy taking part in the love/hate relationship that is life. it is not a he said/she said battle but that of commitment and working toward a greater good. alas, my girlfriend was pregnant and i went through these small pains. i did not look for people to treat me or find a diagnosis but laughed with my partner because we were sharing this moment together..and that is all that matters!

Katie Dec 27, 2008 01:26:14 PM ET

Couvade should never be referred to as "sympathy." under what circumstances, do we imitate others with physical challenges? do we imitate people with cancer? it's not sympathy, it's pure imitation. it evolved from cultures that were very open about acknowledging women as life-givers. men today do admire women as the givers of life through pregnancy, but through machismo are taught to disguise it. some men do suffer from womb envy, and it's expressed in different forms. our religions are male dominated because they were made up so that males could be the 'spiritual life givers.' we can debate whether god is male, but we cannot challenge that women bring life into this world. all forms of discrimination are based on womb envy. with that said, couvade doesn't necessarily represent womb envy. i think there is a certain side of men that wonders if they could handle pregnancy. we give men credit for strength, but women do the task that requires the most physical strength and for the most profound purpose - to bring life into the world. it's as if men don't want us to notice what we can do. so a man should be involved in his wife's pregnancy, but it should be about openly honoring her for what she is doing, not trying to be a baby a grab attention and pretend he can give birth too.

Jo Oct 22, 2008 08:12:07 PM ET

My boyfriend, suffered from this quite badly. he has had to sleep through the entire pregnancies of his 4 children. when i had a missed miscarriage that had to be removed, he went to bed at 7pm the night before,and stayed in bed for two days. i am still taking anti-biotics, so he has extreme tiredness. i expect all of this to be over in a week...

<< 1 2 3 4

Go back to Couvade Syndrome (Sympathy Pains)