Old 12-31-07, 10:19 AM
is ready for some football!!
Michelle - VIP CL

Thanked 793 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 41.33%
Question Grabbing themselves

This has become a serious problem!

Ever since Ryan (3)has been potty trained he is constantly grabbing his penis, putting his hand down his pants, etc. If I ask him about it, he says "it is hard" or "it is pointing up". What do you say? What is the best way to handle this? I know sometimes it needs to be "adjusted" as my DH would say, but Ryan does it at inappropriate times or too frequently IMO.

Ahh the joys of little boys huh???

Old 01-03-08, 01:06 AM
is a Mommy of 4!
~Christina~

Thanked 219 Times
Weekly Activity 8%

Ahh yes... The "grabbing"... Douglas does this as well. He doesn't put his hands down his pants, but he touches himself often and I ask him if he has to go potty (the answer is no about 99% of the time) so I just tell him not to do that then.

Sometimes he stops other times he does it again a couple minutes later.

So I guess I'm no help! Sorry!

Old 01-03-08, 03:19 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 353 Times
Weekly Activity 1.33%

Benjamin only grabs when he is out of his pull up, in the bathtub etc...but I am sure once he is fully potty trained it will be just the same. He is fascinated by it and the fact that daddy has one too... and has to say goodbye to his penis everytime we put a pullup on, or he goes potty and pulls the pull up down!

Wish I had some suggestions, but he isn't alone with the fascination!

Old 01-03-08, 02:10 PM
Momma to 2 boys

Thanked 41 Times
Weekly Activity 1.33%

its normal it will never stop as you can tell ALL MEN still play with it. and are still fascninated with IT. but let him know that he can do that in the privacy of his own room not in public and or the bathroom. thats what i had to do with my oldest but i also told him when he got older that it would grow on its own!!

and to leave it alone!!!!!

Old 02-13-08, 11:52 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Weekly Activity 41.33%

Yeah- I bet that now he just notices it more since he's in undies-- and he also has easier access to it.
I would try to make as small a deal as possible about it, and just tell him that if he wants to do that, he needs to go in his bedroom. I would keep it simple. "We do not put our hands down our pants in front of others." or "We do not touch our private parts in front of others." When he mentioned it was sticking up, I'd say "oh, that's totally normal. You probably notice it now because you're in your big boy pants." You could also have your dh talk to him about it. I know my dh did a lot with telling Josh what it felt like when you have to go poop. He worked a lot with him on it.
Easier said than done but I would try not to show how much you dont like that behavior.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools