Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Need ideas?

Reply Post New Topic

• 3Princes 09-15-09 | 09:24 PM
  • Josh goes to preschool from 9-3 and then to aftercare at the same place from 3-4pm. I get there around 3:50, and that's the absolute earliest I can make it.

He is fine all day but that last hour is hard for him. Today he started crying around 3:45. He said he just missed me and was ready to go home. I'm trying to think of some things to do to help him not get so upset. I asked him if something else was wrong and he said no-- he just missed me. I thought of maybe giving him a little photo album with our pictures in it. I'm not sure what else to say to him. I do feel bad about it but there's nothing I can really do.
  • Patience Patience's Avatar 09-15-09 | 10:55 PM
  • My daughter did the same thing at naptime her second year of preschool. It was the only "down time" of the day and I think it gives them a chance to realize they aren't at home with Mommy and Daddy.

The only thing that helped DD was they started to let her read during nap time. She looked at a book that she liked or colored.

The pictures might be a great idea but I know with my DD it would make her miss us more.

Maybe talk to Josh and see if there is something special or fun he really has been wanting to do. Maybe the teacher will agree that it can be his "marker time" or "leapster time". I remember you said there weren't too many after school kids. I bet he is just sort of lonely and has that time to think.

I hope you can find something to help him (and you) out. It is so heartbreaking to not be able to fix things easily for your kids. It is the only thing I hate about parenting.
  • savannah33 savannah33's Avatar 09-16-09 | 07:37 AM
  • Awe that's sad. I do think that it's the switch over from school to afterschool and maybe how it's not as structured or something. Ask him what he does during that time? What type of activities are available for him? I would try to see if I could get him involved in something to keep him occupied and active that last hour.
  • ~Kelli~ ~Kelli~'s Avatar 09-16-09 | 07:41 AM
  • also-- this is a new routine right? maybe he just needs some more time to adjust
  • 3Princes 09-16-09 | 04:40 PM
  • He was crying again today. I actually got there a few minutes early and he was sitting in a chair crying. It's not the bratty, tantrum kind of crying either... it's the "my heart is broken" crying.

It's just a few kids, maybe 5 or 6, and they're in a different room with different toys, and she lets them basically play with whatever they want. There's stuff everywhere when I get there, so it's not like he has to sit around or anything.

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work