Baby Corner

Old 09-29-11, 03:17 PM
is proud of her kids.
.....is rewarded!

Thanked 906 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 220%

A tip is to look on the Apple site for the refurbs. They carry the same warranty as the new ones, are put in a new box with new ear buds, etc... Only difference is you can't engrave the refurbs with the kids names. No big deal to me.

We got Milo one as that is his obsession and recommended to aid in communication as well as organizing mentally for kids on the autism spectrum. It was a big purchase, but it was so worth it for him. He uses it all the time for so many things.

Here was the problem though, Ilijana HAD to have one too. It became her biggest obsession all summer long. We buckled and got her one for her birthday too. Now no more whining (which is really priceless) and it is also great for any kind of travel as you can load entire movies on there.

I am now the only person in the house without an I product. LOL!

To be honest, I wouldn't typically have bought one for my kids at 6 if it weren't for Milo's needs. He has the 32 GB half full already with pictures, lists and his massive music collection. But at 8 or 9 I think most kids are responsible enough for one though I wasn't too thrilled to buy one for DD due to the cost.

We also said that if that is what they REALLY wanted, any birthday money they received from family would go towards it. That knocked about $100 off the price and we ended up spending about what we would for them anyway. Okay, a bit more, but not too bad.

Old 09-30-11, 08:19 AM
is enjoying life!
Another Perfect Day

Thanked 1,422 Times
Weekly Activity 1620%

That is the biggest issue and it's My issue to be honest. I want to get Brent one but I don't really think Brooke would use it much and Braedon would not take care of it as I would like him to if the way he takes care of the DS is any indication. BUT I don't want anyone to be disappointed on Christmas morning and I don't want to hear the whining.

Plus x 3 kids = BIG Money on small things.

Old 10-02-11, 05:07 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 152 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

That is all Kay wants also, but right now she is saving her money for it. I would like for her to pay 1/2 of it because I feel like if she pays half she'll take care of it better. We have a deal going with homework and getting up and getting ready for school with a sticker chart and instead of getting a cheap toy that we don't need we give her money at the end of the week for the stickers she gets. That money she keeps putting in a jar for her Ipod. I have a feeling we'll get her one for Christmas, but I like that she's saving her money for it now.

She loves my Ipad so she uses that all the time and I have a feeling that will be her next thing she'll want, but I told her she needs to tell her grandparents and everyone she wants money instead of toys. I'm so tired of toys. We don't need anymore toys.

Old 10-03-11, 08:05 AM
is enjoying life!
Another Perfect Day

Thanked 1,422 Times
Weekly Activity 1620%

I could not agree more on the toy thing.

The other thing is Randy and I were really considering changing the bonus room they use upstairs. I've removed a lot of toys already. We want to get rid of the current TV and entertainment center, replace it with a bigger LCD wall mounted TV, put the Wii up there, buy them some bean bag chairs, move the Air Hockey table etc and set it up more for a TV / Game room instead of a toy room. But I can't afford to buy 3 Ipod touches and do that.

Old 10-03-11, 11:59 AM
is the mommy of a 3 year old and expecting #2
Community Member

Thanked 437 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 16620%

Susan I had a thought when I read this. I don't know your kids stance on Santa but maybe if you showed them on paper(a sketch) what Santa wants to do to their bonus room and point out the pros and cons of having a game room versus a play room(sleepover space, video game uninterrupted by Mom and Dad's shows, sharing aspect etc.) and then the care, and maintenance expected of an Ipod touch plus the cost of downloads which would come out of allowances and birthday money maybe the kids would be more excited about the room redo and could get the touches for birthdays, which are more spaced out, or could do special chores to earn one.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

March 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
March 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Wasim!

Calculators & Tools