Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Bad News/Good News

Reply Post New Topic

• raabta01 raabta01's Avatar 11-12-09 | 11:48 AM
  • Bad news: Theron still isn't talking yet or really even using any single words.

Good news: WV has a great prgram called "WV Birth to Three" (

) that is a free program. I was really impressed as they sent out a 4 member accessment team to observe Theron and work with him on whatever he needed help with. They said he only needed help on speech. It seems like a really cool program and they really seem to care about what they do.

One of the things they are recommending is using a form of sign language with Theron so he can learn the basics of communication. Has anyone else used this with their kids? So far it seems to be working very well.
  • MrsS1stbaby MrsS1stbaby's Avatar 11-12-09 | 01:34 PM
  • Like baby signs? Kendall knows a few, but we (me & Dh) don't use them as often as we should & didn't really get as into it as we thought we would. She used to do the sign for milk & drink often, but as she became more vocal, she stopped using them & just reaches for it on the table & says "uhh, uhh." We try to get her to start again, but so far it hasn't worked. But, she still does the sign for more, all gone, & baby. She loves to do the sign for baby & say it over & over.

If you don't mind me asking, how old is Theron? Kendall is 15.5 months & she only actually says a couple of words. She tries to say others, but they don't come out right. (like she can say the beginning of a word, but the end is open, like "bah" for ball or "dah" for dog) We more or less know which "sound" or "noise" means what, but always repeat the actual word for her. My mom said that I didn't really start talking until later, but once I started, I never stopped. So it hasn't occured to me to worry that Kendall has started talking a whole lot yet. When did you start wanting a 2nd opinion? Should I be concerned about Kendall?
  • mac71 mac71's Avatar 11-12-09 | 01:42 PM
  • sounds like the program will work out and no doubt Theron will be talking non stop soon enough

Lucy has been babbling in sentences with an odd word making sense but in the last day or two she is saying a couple of extra words..yesterday she grabbed my car keys and said " go go Dar Dar" Dara is her cousin who she adores so she had heard me talking about maybe visiting later but she was off and running to the door

now that might not seem a big deal but it is for us we were a little concerned being an only child she wasn't saying much but they can understand so much we are saying and basically just store up the words and all of a sudden can just come out and starting talking. The sign language will help alot and will make it easier for you to communicate with him as well

• raabta01 raabta01's Avatar 11-12-09 | 05:06 PM
  • Theron is 19 months now. His pediatrician recommended the Birth to Three about 2 months ago during his last visit. She said it was free and provided by the state so why not try it out. MrsS1, I'd say if you have a girl and she's making that progress at 15.5 I wouldn't worry at all.
Thank you raabta01!
MrsS1stbaby (11-12-09)
  • BnBMommy BnBMommy's Avatar 11-12-09 | 05:38 PM
  • Sounds like a great program, hope you see some great changes from it!

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work