Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parenting Message Boards > Ages & Stages - Toddlers >
Quick prayer request for a family facing a loss

Quick prayer request for a family facing a loss

Reply Post New Topic

• JoanneE JoanneE's Avatar 09-01-04 | 03:36 PM
  • I just received word that a dear friend, Janet Grosser, died at home early this week. Janet was the chair of the board of our local college alumni club and a wonderful woman. She was diagnosed with lung cancer over a year ago - a nonsmoker in excellent health with a great diet and fitness routine. Lung cancer is not uncommon among women nonsmokers. Her cancer was stable for quite a long time after diagnosis thanks to low-dose chemotherapy, but it began growing again a couple of months ago.

She is survived by her husband, Mort, who met her in college over 50 years ago. I haven't spoken with him since her death but he was devastated by her diagnosis. It's hard to imagine him being without her. Please keep him in your prayers. He's a kind man and will need to be surrounded by love now.

Jo
  • BethandBrandon BethandBrandon's Avatar 09-01-04 | 03:39 PM
  • You got it. I'm sorry you lost a dear friend!

• Diane1212 Diane1212's Avatar 09-01-04 | 05:54 PM
  • I'm so sorry, Jo.
  • janney janney's Avatar 09-02-04 | 09:29 AM
  • I am so sorry Joanne. How is your friend who has Leukemia?
  • JoanneE JoanneE's Avatar 09-02-04 | 04:10 PM
  • Janney, how funny you remember that story. I'm not friends with the leukemia woman, but my nanny quit working with us to help her family. We have mutual friends but I haven't met her yet. Anyway, I hear she is in full remission and doing quite well. She received her treatment at Stanford and UCSF, so she has national experts tracking her.

Fortunately two other friends who had cancer over the past few years are doing great. One woman had thyroid cancer - she was diagnosed when she was pregnant! She is doing beautifully and teaches in Boston. The other had lymphoma, a very aggressive type, but is in full remission and I think they consider him cured now because he's been cancer-free for over two years. He and his wife have one kid and another on the way.

Isn't it disturbing when friends our age get these serious illnesses? The loss of my friend this week is very sad, but she was in her early 70s and we all have to die sometime. But the friend who died last year of cancer who graduated from college with me (and left a 15-month daughter) really shook me up.

It doesn't help that I work at an academic medical center, where we hear about all the worst cases of every rare disease!

Jo

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work