Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parenting Message Boards > Ages & Stages - Toddlers >
Tracy, a nosy question if you don't mind...

Tracy, a nosy question if you don't mind...

Reply Post New Topic

• 2babygirls 2babygirls's Avatar 09-01-04 | 05:58 PM
  • I noticed the DI tag in your signature. Were all of your kids conceived using DI? Was your DD & if so did you use sperm that had been separated for sex selection?

Tell me to go away if I'm prying too much!
  • :domesticgoddess: :domesticgoddess:'s Avatar 09-06-04 | 01:54 PM
  • Not a problem at all --

All of my kids were conceived the "natural" way until we got to Mia. My dh and I both carry a recessive genetic disorder and didn't realize it until ds #6. He was born totally normal and healthy (at home with our Midwife, because that's the way I do it). He started showing signs of not being able to breathe properly when only about 45 minutes old. He spent the next 15 days in the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) before dying of this EXTREMELY rare condition called Hereditary Surfactant Protein B Deficiency. He lacked the proper genes to ever make surfactant, which is the "stuff" that makes our lungs work properly. The next year while 6 months pg, I found out that I was pg with my first dd and I was elated until the amnio results told us that she had the same thing and would die too...

I carried her to term and she died in my arms at 13 hours of life.

We REALLY were afraid to try again, but did and conceived a healthy son (Milo, my '98 baby) and then had a surprise ds in Jacob (2000). Jacob was not supposed to live - the geneticists told us they only gave him a 10% chance. Somehow he is fine today (I thank God for it) and although we wanted one more child, we really didn't want to tempt fate.

We chose a donor from Fairfax, VA and used Microsort for the sperm separation to the tune of $7,000. I traveled to VA/D.C. and had the procedure and they totally ripped me off. They triggered me to ovulate on an immature follicle and basically wasted $7,000 on the spot.

I would never trust them again!

We then heard that our local (10 miles from here!!!) clinic was separating sperm too. They don't have as high of a % success, but they do it. We paid the high fees for that for a couple of cycles and I didn't get pg. Finally after big $, a m/c and lots of time (I was 38 and the clock was ticking) we went on a whim and went totally natural - no drugs, no separation, and used home ICIs. I got pg that cycle and luckily it was my little angel girl!!

DI is a miracle for so many of us!! Sorry that was so darn long!

I really condensed it too!
  • Diane1212 Diane1212's Avatar 09-07-04 | 11:46 AM
  • Wow, what an incredible story! I'm so sorry for the loss of your two little ones, what a heart wrenching ordeal that must have been. I can't imagine what you went through. But what a miracle that you have your beautiful children. Thanks for sharing.
  • 2babygirls 2babygirls's Avatar 09-08-04 | 05:21 PM
  • Wow if you are both carriers the fact that you had 7 (or 6?) children that don't have it is truly a miracle. Thanks for sharing your story.

I wonder why sperm separation is so expensive there. My sister used DI to try for her girl & I don't know the cost but I know it wasn't that much more than unseparated.

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work