Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

What to do

Reply Post New Topic

• koala_kaper koala_kaper's Avatar 11-09-09 | 03:26 PM
  • Athemia hates going to bed. She REFUSES to do it on her own and if I try and let her CIO she just stands there sucking on her hand until she has drool all the way to her elbow and you can wring out her jammies in the arm bc it's so wet with drool.

What I end up doing so I don't have to change her jammies (or make her sleep with a wet, cold arm) is either standing with her rocking back and forth until she gets too squirmy and I just can't hold her or stand next to the crib bent over so I can have my hand on her back. She just WILL NOT let me do anything else. By the time Sienna was this old I could tell her ok, I'm going to go downstairs, you go to sleep and she would do it without question. Douglas was my best sleeper and put himself to sleep with no issues ever (I wish I could remember how I did that

)

She CAN put herself to sleep, she does it in the car whenever it's close to nap or bedtime, she just won't do it when we're home (I always pray she falls asleep in the car if it's even CLOSE to bedtime!)

Any suggestions? I'm just sick of the struggle every night, even though we have a routine that we follow. Having baby #4 on the way and back issues as well, I NEED to figure out something else. Thanks in advance.
  • brandimichelle brandimichelle's Avatar 11-10-09 | 02:14 PM
  • I wish I had advice.... Avery is in the bed with us... and can get out of her crib so I have no idea...

Thank you brandimichelle!
koala_kaper (11-10-09)
  • Jen_C Jen_C's Avatar 11-10-09 | 02:42 PM

•  
    Sorry you are having a rough time! Sounds like she won't sleep without you because that's how she has learned to go to sleep. Your going to have to work hard to get her to learn to sleep without you being in her room.

I left my little one's alone in their crib and went back at different intervals. I did the EXACT same thing every time I went in their room (just layed them down in the crib, rubbed their belly and walked right back out). If Athemia's drooling all over her pj's and they are getting to wet, go ahead and change her clothes without turning on lights or talking to her. Then lay her back in her crib.

That's what worked best for my two munchkins. I know everyone is different so you'll have to see what works best for you and Athemia. Good luck!!! I hope you can figure something out soon.
Thank you Jen_C!
koala_kaper (11-10-09)
  • MrsS1stbaby MrsS1stbaby's Avatar 11-10-09 | 02:47 PM
  • I don't know either!! Sorry! Kendall is a good sleeper, has signs when she is tired (like rubbing eyes, yawning, thumb sucking) Sometmes when ask her if she is ready for bed, she will walk to her room on her own!

How late is she staying up vs. how early are putting her down? And naps? The only time Kendall gives us probelsm going down or staying asleep is when she slept in later than normal or is sick. Last night for example: she was acting like it was bedtime 8pm, so we put her down. As soon as we started to leave her room, she sat up & was like "uhhhh, uuhhhh." So we said, ok guess you are not ready. So we took her back out & then by 8:30 she was sucking her thumb. This time she made no fuss. She stayed awake for a bit b/c Dh said he could hear her talking to herself, but she was happy so we just left her alone. She was sleep by 8:45-9pm.
  • mac71 mac71's Avatar 11-11-09 | 11:19 AM
  • I'm in the same position as Brandi - Lucy is beside me now in bed. I always had a routine and she never had a problem going to bed in her cot or falling asleep it was the waking up during the night that was the problem - she then decided she hated her cot and vomited when I left her so for peace all round and she is with me..I have given up worrying and stressing about her sleeping habits. She now sleeps thru beside me and I've finally got rid of the bags under my eyes

Thank you mac71!
brandimichelle (11-11-09)

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work