Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

baby blues?

Reply Post New Topic

• 3Princes 01-21-10 | 07:01 PM
  • Did you get the baby blues after giving birth?
    When did they come on?
    How long did they last?
    Was there anything that helped you get through them?
  • lynn012 lynn012's Avatar 01-21-10 | 09:56 PM
  • Did you get the baby blues after giving birth? yes
    When did they come on? about a week after i delivered
    How long did they last? a few weeks
    Was there anything that helped you get through them? my therapist
Thank you lynn012!
3Princes (01-21-10)
  • LAB LAB's Avatar 01-21-10 | 09:59 PM
  • I remember having just the blues after Christine. It was 8 years ago, so I don't remember the details. I'm pretty sure mine was from having a high needs infant, no help at all, new momminess and being alone nearly all day with my infant. Add that any noise set her off on hours of screaming, when my DH did get home very late at night, we couldn't talk without setting her off.

After Nicole I had a lot of depression with PTSD from her trauma filled birth. It lasted for a year and was very difficult. This time I was totally alone with 2 babies, no car, isolated and traumatized.

I didn't have anything with Everett. The big difference was that I demanded that my DH take 2 weeks off of work after the baby came! I was not doing it alone again! That made a huge difference! His birth was very easy as well and physically I felt good afterward. Now my emotions did crash when he was a week or so old, but I had my DH there to help me and it didn't last long. I only had a few hours, if that, of feeling really down that my mom wasn't there to see my new baby (she passed on 3 years ago). Now pg hormones are kicking in and I'm crying again about it! It was also very helpful that ladies from church brought us over meals and I felt very supported. I had never felt supported after I had a baby. Even when my mom was alive her idea of support was to give me space to get myself together. That's what she wanted.

I think its very normal for your hormone levels to bottom out pretty quickly after birth. Everything is going crazy trying to regulate itself! I think good mama support is really needed to help with this transition. I think its hit me every time at about a week after my babies birth.

Are you feeling okay? Do you have a lot of support around you?

Laura

Thank you LAB!
3Princes (01-21-10)
  • Sheri Sheri's Avatar 01-22-10 | 09:41 AM
  • I did Jeanne. I don't remember all the details but I do remember crying a lot and feeling very overwhelmed. (I was fine if dh was home or my parents were around to help.) When I was alone I would sit and cry and wish I had never gotten married or had more children. Then I would cry harder for thinking that way.

I don't know if you remember but when I had Nick, Ryan had just turned 3 and Emily had just turned 2. I was very anxious and ended up taking Celexa for awhile (1 yr maybe). It took quite a while for my hormones to even out.
    Is everything OK?

Thank you Sheri!
3Princes (01-22-10)
  • MrsS1stbaby MrsS1stbaby's Avatar 01-22-10 | 12:07 PM
  • I wouldn't say I experienced anything like the post-partum depression they talked about in birthing class, but I certainly had my share of a few days when I was just overwhelmed, stressed, over-tired, and frustrated. A lot of my friends that were also having babies around that time admit to the same.

I remember a week or so after being home & trying to get the hang of breastfeeding, being engorged, and poor Dh not really being able to help in the aspect at all, so he felt helpless and I was so scared & stressed. My older sister called during one of these sessions & Dh brought me the phone. We talked about my frustrations while trying to get dd to latch on. I couldn't help it & started crying. Later my sister said she was choking up herself b/c she felt for me & it brought back memories for her same experiences she had when my niece was born. I think it is pretty normal to get a case of the blues after giving birth. Heck, I get them at least once a month!

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work