Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question >
baby refusing bottle

baby refusing bottle

Reply Post New Topic

• teddybear1082 teddybear1082's Avatar 06-23-08 | 08:29 PM
  • OK so dd is about 7 and a half months old and she is starting to refuse her bottles. She is almost totally weaned (self-weaned-she was refusing to breastfeed in the day time) and is only nursing in the morning for a very short time. She has started to push her lunch bottle away and she yells at it when she pushes it away. She eats solid lunch very heartily right after this happens. Then a few hours later she absolutely devours her late afternoon bottle.
    Any idea what is going on?
  • Heidi1361 Heidi1361's Avatar 06-23-08 | 09:08 PM
  • Well... it sounds like TO ME that what's going on is that when she wants to EAT, she wants to EAT!!

She's a smart little girl & has figured out that right after this bottle is LUNCH. And if she pushes it away... lunch comes sooner!!

Are you giving her a bottle first & then giving her lunch?? Can she hold her own bottle?? Does she sit in a high chair & eat off of a tray?? Can she feed herself some finger foods foods??

Have you tried giving her a sippy cup?? It might help to just have something DIFFERENT rather than that bottle she's decided to push away!!

I'd also suggest trying to combine lunch & bottle (or sippy cup). Put her cut up food on her tray along with her milk. Just give her small amounts at a time... she can always have a little more later.

(I have a just-turned-1yr-old in my child care, and that's what I do for him... he just picks it up during lunch and drinks it when he decides he wants a drink.

He also has a bottle in the early AM with mom... mid-morning, lunch, mid-afternoon with me... and I'm assuming another 1 or 2 in the evenings with mom.)

Last edited by Heidi1361; 06-23-08 at 09:14 PM..
  • skyqueen skyqueen's Avatar 06-23-08 | 10:02 PM

•  

I'd offer the bottle first, then, if she doesn't drink it, give her her lunch but make sure she's not FULL with the lunch and top her off with the remainder of the bottle afterwords (or wait 10 minute or so after eating for the bottle)
  • teddybear1082 teddybear1082's Avatar 06-24-08 | 12:32 PM
  • She refused for a few days in a row when I posted this yesterday. Then today she downed the mid morning bottle! I think Heidi is on to something.., she knows what she wants and is learning how to get it!
  • 2babygirls 2babygirls's Avatar 06-24-08 | 01:26 PM
  • Smart girl! And I bet it will be an easy transition to cups when you are ready.

(Rachel had a bottle until she was 4

)

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work