Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

canker sores

Reply Post New Topic

• 3Princes 08-24-10 | 02:39 PM
  • Matthew has 2 canker sores on his bottom lip. They're not really on the inside, but lookin at the pictures online, that's definitely what they are. What should I put on them?

Just in time to start preschool....

• Mark'sbabygirl Mark'sbabygirl's Avatar 08-24-10 | 02:42 PM
  • A

little guy! Unfortunately, there' snot much you can do for them. Orajel can help relive some of the discomfort. I use a benzoyl and peroxide toothpaste and that helps prevent them.
Thank you Mark'sbabygirl!
3Princes (08-24-10)
  • 2babygirls 2babygirls's Avatar 08-24-10 | 05:11 PM
  • I used to get them all the time when I was a kid but my girls haven't gotten any. I don't think they are uncommon though. I can't remember if I did anything for them. I hope Matthew isn't in too much pain!
Thank you 2babygirls!
3Princes (08-24-10)
  • Patience Patience's Avatar 08-24-10 | 08:20 PM
  • Some mylanta on a cotton ball will help. Just dab it on. Also they sell this stuff (that tastes yucky) at drugstores that helps. It forms a little film (like a bandaid) over the sores.

DD got a HUGE one a few years ago. We ended up switching to only Tom's of Maine toothpaste (on the recommendation of a dentist friend) and she hasn't had one since.

Those things hurt so badly. Poor guy.

We have had a lot of hoof and mouth disease going around the area this summer. It was on the news for a good week and a few of our friends kids caught it. Doubt that is what it is but just throwing it out there. It usually has a fever too though. Sounded awful when my friend described it to me.
Thank you Patience!
3Princes (08-24-10)
  • 3Princes 08-24-10 | 08:55 PM
  • I've never seen a canker sore on the outside of the mouth. That's what has me a little concerned. It's gross and white, not a cold sore. Looking at the pics online (and having had them at times myself), it looks exactly like them.

I called the ped's office and the doctor ordered some numbing medicine.

I told them a few times it's not hurting him at all. Because of where it is, on the outer part of his lip, food and drink really aren't hitting it. Other than that, they said just let them know if it doesn't go away.

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work