Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question >
Chapped thumb from sucking...

Chapped thumb from sucking...

Reply Post New Topic

• MrsS1stbaby MrsS1stbaby's Avatar 01-19-10 | 05:05 PM
  • DD is a thumb sucker-mainly when she is tired or as soon as she touches something soft, like her blankie. We've noticed over the past couple days that her thumb (her right) is all rough looking, like a few actual reddish sore spots & it's darker in color. Basically is looks chapped. We are also not sure if the reddish spots are cuts from her rubbing is against her teeth; she has one coming in the front on top, one coming in the bottom in front, and a random one coming in near the back. (oh, and for reference, she is 18 mnths old)

Does anyone have any rememdies for this? Dh said we should put some sort of lotion on it, but won't she just suck it off?
  • lauralkemp lauralkemp's Avatar 01-19-10 | 08:40 PM
  • IDK what to do about that either. Joseph has the same thing. His year appointmetn is in about week and a half so i figured I'd ask the ped then.
  • CarolleZ CarolleZ's Avatar 01-19-10 | 09:19 PM
  • Chloe had this.. it comes and goes. We never put anything on it.. she seemed to suck less when it hurt, which isn't such a bad thing in my eyes

I am careful when it looks red to wipe her hands gently so it doesn't hurt..
  • 3Princes 01-19-10 | 10:45 PM
  • When she's not sucking her thumb, I'd put aquaphor on it. It's the consistency of vasiline but it heals dry cracked skin pretty fast.
Thank you 3Princes!
MrsS1stbaby (01-20-10)
  • MrsS1stbaby MrsS1stbaby's Avatar 01-20-10 | 12:13 AM
  • Quote de QTeach333
    When she's not sucking her thumb, I'd put aquaphor on it. It's the consistency of vasiline but it heals dry cracked skin pretty fast.

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work