Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question >
"compromised immune system"

"compromised immune system"

Reply Post New Topic

• 2babygirls 2babygirls's Avatar 10-15-09 | 12:44 PM
  • So diverting the topic a little...Laura(?) saying she can't get the flu-mist because of her DH in the hospital: does that apply to you as well?
  • 2babygirls 2babygirls's Avatar 10-15-09 | 12:45 PM
  • Quote de rudolphia
    And RA also does not suppress the immune system, but I believe some of the drugs used to treat it do, so I guess the long way around is people who have those conditions and treat them with regular medication do have suppressed immune systems.
    I thought RA was caused by something wrong with their immune system so it attacks the joints. Meebe not though.
  • wymeg wymeg's Avatar 10-15-09 | 12:49 PM
  • Quote de 2babygirls
    Yes-that person has a compromised immune system or yes-its a different issue?
    I was thinking yes that person with those illnesses would have a compromised immune system.
    But I guess I was wrong?
  • rudolphia rudolphia's Avatar 10-15-09 | 12:53 PM
  • The immune system does attack the body in both MS and RA, but the problem is that the immune system is overactive, not underactive. The conditions are caused by the immune system incorrectly perceiving something within the body as a threat. A compromised immune system is one that does not attack actual threats. So to treat those conditions, you use drugs that suppress the immune system so the neurological system or joints are not attacked and caused to deteriorate. But the side effect is that the body doesn't fight off diseases it would normally protect one from. Does that make sense.

My husband needs to have the dead form of the vaccine, but he does not need to be protected from the live form. I'm not sure what Laura's husband's status is. Marek did have the live flu mist (for regular flu), and that was not a problem for my dh, because he already got his own flu shot.
  • 2babygirls 2babygirls's Avatar 10-15-09 | 01:04 PM
  • Ahhh makes sense now.
    Thank you.

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work