Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question >
"compromised immune system"

"compromised immune system"

Reply Post New Topic

• lauralkemp lauralkemp's Avatar 10-15-09 | 01:22 PM
  • As it was explained to me by the nurse at the health dept.
    The live vaccine is shedding so you are constantly giving it off. I could say wear a mask around my DH while he's in ICU but if I don't put the mask on until I get to his room I'm passing all the other patients with suppressed immune systems in ICU and risking giving it to them. An ICU patient is so susceptible to all sorts of things because their body is so busy with one problem it doesn't have the resources to fight other things off.
Thank you lauralkemp!
2babygirls (10-15-09)
  • Patience Patience's Avatar 10-15-09 | 01:54 PM
  • Great explanations Rudi and Lauralkemp.

It is usually the meds patients with autoimmune diseases are on. I am on high dose steroids/prednisone and that means my body might not fight off a flu as easily or it might mask the symptoms of a virus. Also some people on long term steroids (even after they are off of them) might need an emergency dose when their body is under stress with a cold/flu etc...

Our friend is on Imuran for his Crohn's disease and he has to be so careful as to not get sick from even a cold.

As a person with an autoimmune disease I also worry when I'm not actively on immune suppressants. Since the immune system is so overactive with this condition often even when I am in a remission all it takes is a bad cold that turns into an infection for my body to freak out and start "acting up" and attacking innocent body parts that have no illness or infection. KWIM? It is such a fine balancing act.

I was always a hypochondriac/germaphob but having this disease has meant learning to balance my fears with living my life. I'm still a freak and nag the kids constantly to wash, no nose/mouth/eye contact but I try to remember that life goes on. It is impossible to worry all day about it so I just try to remember that precautions and being prepared are the best we can do.

Lauralkemp, your right. Your DH has enough to fight (as do the other ICU patients) without added risk. Sounds like you are very informed and taking great care of DH and also thinking of the other patients. Sounds like he has a great team around him.
2 Users Says Thank You
2babygirls (10-15-09), lauralkemp (10-15-09)
  • alb526 alb526's Avatar 10-15-09 | 10:48 PM
  • I got the same advice, I need to take the inert vaccine not the live mist. It's not a disease process in my case, it's due to steroids and anti-rejection meds.
  • onemellogirl onemellogirl's Avatar 10-15-09 | 11:17 PM
  • I have Graves disease and Im on medication. I was told that I could not get the live vaccine but I would be safe if my kids did get it. The meds are the reason for this, not the disease.

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work