Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question >
Did you know this about JFK?

Did you know this about JFK?

Reply Post New Topic

• savannah33 savannah33's Avatar 03-02-10 | 12:50 PM
    John F. Kennedy was the 35th president of the United States. To the men and women of America, he appeared to be the epitome of good health. Young and handsome, strapping and athletic, Kennedy gave little indication he had been sickly from a very young age.
    Kennedy's health problems began was he was just 2 years old and contracted the measles. Immediately after, he came down with a near-fatal bout of scarlet fever. He also suffered from whooping cough, diphtheria, and other respiratory infections as a child. Before finishing college, Kennedy suffered colitis, appendicitis, Addison's disease, jaundice, severe back problems and early onset osteoporosis.
    By the mid-1950s his back problems became so severe, he could barely walk and often used crutches in private. By the time he became president in 1961, he was in constant pain and needed daily injections of pain killers, including Demerol, just to function. He was assassinated in 1963.

I have never heard about his health problems being so severe.

• 2babygirls 2babygirls's Avatar 03-02-10 | 01:36 PM
  • I never knew either!
  • Patience Patience's Avatar 03-02-10 | 01:57 PM
  • I actually did. I'm a political junkie. LOL! It really is amazing all that he accomplished. His brother Teddy also had many health problems and near death experiences. He survived a plane crash that killed almost everyone else on board.

That poor family may have had all the power and wealth in the world but money can't buy health sadly.
  • savannah33 savannah33's Avatar 03-02-10 | 02:48 PM
  • I didn't know he had such severe back problems or he used crutches. I've never heard that before.
  • Patience Patience's Avatar 03-02-10 | 02:52 PM
  • Crazy how now a days we know the presidents personal information down to his HDL and LDL numbers. LOL!

I think President Obama's is a little elevated at 209.

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work