Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question >
How to help a 2 yr old adjust

How to help a 2 yr old adjust

Reply Post New Topic

• teddybear1082 teddybear1082's Avatar 02-02-10 | 03:27 PM
  • DD is 26 months and I I have a 10 day old son. She is starting to throw horrible tantrums and is constantly whining about everything. She is also becoming very demanding and trying to boss dh and I around. She was a pretty happy kid before I went into the hospital. I have been home with just her for 2 years, so I know she is "dethroned" but how do I help her start behaving again without giving in to her demands?
  • MrsS1stbaby MrsS1stbaby's Avatar 02-02-10 | 04:46 PM
  • Oh lord, I am interested in hearing the replys you get since our dd is almost 19 months old & we are thinking about a sibling, so dd would probably be about the same age as yours when the next one comes along!
  • rudolphia rudolphia's Avatar 02-02-10 | 05:05 PM
  • It just takes time, unfortunately. Marek was 18 months when Lukas was born, and he didn't show any signs of jealousy, but he responded exactly the way you describe. He had lots of tantrums, started hitting me and being a lot more needy. Kids just know that your attention is divided, and it makes them feel insecure. Just maintain consistency, make sure you still get a bit of one-on-one time with her every day, and things will settle down with time. She's too little to understand right now that the baby needs you, so she's fighting for her share of attention any way she can.

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work