Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question >
Liquid meds and a stubborn 5 year old!

Liquid meds and a stubborn 5 year old!

Reply Post New Topic

• koala_kaper koala_kaper's Avatar 08-12-10 | 12:41 PM
  • Douglas had his tonsils out yesterday and has to be on liquid amoxicillin to prevent infection and a liquid pain killer and he gives me the hardest time every time about taking it. He eventually does, btu he's not supposed to get his heart rate up (could cause stuff to break open and bleed) and so I don't want the crying/hyperventillating every time he needs it (twice a day for the amox and 6 times a day for the pain stuff.)

So my question... how do you get a stubborn 5 year old to take liquid medicine? Stuff that won't work (and some advice I've been given already and reasons why it won't work!) He doesn't like juice and won't drink the gatorade he picked out and he won't eat applesauce so I can't really "hide it" in anything like that. And I think it would be a bit obvious to try to hide it in mashed potatoes (The pain med is red and the amoxicillin is pink.) He is WAY to smart for that anyway and I'm almost positive he'd figure it out. I sqiurt the dropper into a shot glass (if he knew what it was for he'd freak and not use it! but it has a Lion on it and looks "cool") and he chases it with water since again, he won't drink juice and doesn't want the gatorade. I've tried bribing him with the Wii and other things (like when he feels better we'll go bowling and swimming.) and NOTHING seems to be helping! ANY and ALL advice would be absolutely WONDERFUL! Thanks in advance!
  • 3Princes 08-12-10 | 02:02 PM
  • With the pain meds, I'd just stop giving them. 5 years old is old enough to understand that if he's actually in pain, he needs to take them to feel better.

With the amoxil, I'd offer a good bribe that's instantaneous, like go get some matchbox cars, or a few of those junky cheap mcdoinalds toys (wish we lived closer-- i have a TON i could give you) that he can have right then. 2 times a day or whatever is much more manageable than 6.

One thing thats really working with matthew is giving a choice like 'would you like to takeyour medicine before dinner or after dinner?" (with juice or with millk?) whatever you want.

Last edited by 3Princes; 08-12-10 at 02:05 PM..
  • 3Princes 08-12-10 | 02:06 PM
  • Have you tried saying, "fine then, don't take it. I hope you don't get sick/aren't in too much pain." ? You could try that on his next dose of pain meds since they're not crucial. My two freak out when i say stuff like that and demand I give it to them (or do the "right thing" whatever that may be).
  • teddybear1082 teddybear1082's Avatar 08-12-10 | 02:07 PM
  • Oh, good luck. I think Jeanne has a great idea. Maybe a trip to the dollar store to pick the prizes might help?
    I hope he feels better very soon!

• koala_kaper koala_kaper's Avatar 08-12-10 | 02:33 PM
  • Thanks. I've tried saying no more Wii today, I've tried saying you can watch whatever you want on tv, I've tried telling him he'll be in pain, I've even tried tellin ghim that if he doesn't take it he'll have to stay at the hospital for 2 weeks until he is healed up by himself (dh works and I gotta watch the girls) where he'll have to have an IV stuck in his hand all the time so they can give him the meds that way. None of it seems to work. I try nice, I try "mean and nasty", It feels like I've tried it all!

Today he is in a lot more pain than yesterday, probably bc the stuff they gave him there wore off completely now. he doesn't even want to eat popsicles it hurts him so much! And yet he STILL doesn't want to take the stuff! Eventually he always does, and he isn't QUITE as bad about it as yesterday, but my goodness I hope that pain stops SOONER rather than later bc I don't know how much more of his stubborness I can handle! (Unfortunately he gets the stubbornness from me so I can't really even blame it on dh!)

Ho-hum... at least he did really well with it overnight, but that's probably just because he was out of it! But they told us to go every 4 hours on the dot, even overnight to stay ahead of the pain. Oh well, at elast it's only for a couple weeks at the most. The amox is only for 10 days, the other stuff is until his throat starts feeling better (hopefully less than 10 days

)

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work